We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long overdue trip report...

Shallotte, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Long overdue trip report...

This summer got away from me and I apologize for not writing this review earlier. I received so much help from people that posted prior to our trip that I wanted to thank everyone and also give our feedback... so, this August, a group of 30 spent the week at Gentle Winds. We had an excellent time and thoroughly enjoyed St. Croix. Gentle Winds proved to be a perfect location for a group of our size. They had plenty of condos, the pool and beach were great, and the snack bar worked out well. I will say that the grounds are beautiful, but some of the condo units were outdated ( we rented a total of 7)... so choose carefully if you book here. Some of the highlights of our vacation: snorkel/sail trip with Black Beard excursion was a fun day... there have been complaints about the condition of the reef at Buck Island... ignore them, it is worth the trip. Several in the group also did the night kayak tour with Sea-Thru-Kayak,. THe experienced kayaking members of the group loved the bioluminescent tour, although some of the newbies did struggle with the kayak... again, just about all had positive comments. Two of our group did the intro to scuba diving located at Cane Bay beach and loved it. They weren't able to see much but it was enough of an introduction and they plan to become certified. Restaurants that were our most favoriteL EAT at Cane Bay, and Rowdie Joes. Both had interesting menus and some of us frequented them twice. We also did a huge take out order from La Reine chicken shack... yummy chicken and johnny cakes. The only disappointment was the bar next door refused to serve the men in our group who were waiting for our order. Having a group this size could have been a problem, but we found the island to be easy to get around, the locals for the most part very friendly and plenty to do for everyone. Thanks again for all of the help in planning our trip.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long overdue trip report...

Thanks for taking the time to come back and post your thoughts about different parts of your trip! You get a medal for organizing 30 people....can't even begin to imagine how challenging that was :) Great idea to all rent condos near each other and I'm sure it was like having Gentle Winds to yourselves.

Could you identify the top two or three condos at Gentle Winds (of those you rented) so that others will have the benefit of that info? We do get folks coming on the TA forum looking for Gentle Winds advice. Or maybe you can at least tell people how you found the 7 condos (realtor, websites) and whether you would have any advice on how to best select an updated condo.

Hope you'll return to STX one day.....hard not to catch the 'bug'!

Shallotte, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long overdue trip report...

Oh, we will return! This is the third time our group has traveled together. The group has a wide variety of ages, from toddlers to grandparents. When we look for accomodations, we usually look for condos as they are the best for families. Once we knew where we wanted to stay on the island, we checked for condos that had good beach and pool...imperative with children. We looked on both the Gentle Winds site and found Marjorie and also VRBO. Most of us stayed in building I which was the closest to the beach, although most units are an easy walk. We stayed in Unit 4 ( Carrbbean Breeze),... all were happy with buidling I except for Unit 5. I would avoid this unless it has been remodeled. We also found that the three bedroom units were warm on the third floor and a few air conditioners were in need of repair. The staff on site were receptive though which helped. We also liked that Gentle WInds had a beach bar and great outdoor space. We had a welcome dinner the first night, then a cook out and the final night we did the La Reine Chicken Shack. Lots of outdoor space and they do have a grill. We have many golfers in the group and there is a small golf course on location... which was the site of quite a few early morning challenges.... bragging rights for the rest of the day! this Although Gentle WInds is an older resort, the location is great and we would definitely consider returning. Hope this helps.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long overdue trip report...

Very helpful 3arches!

I didn't know they had golf at all at Gentle Winds....just for guests? A few holes? I have just taken golf up again with my teen son and we hope to play while on STX in March.

Shallotte, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long overdue trip report...

its really not much of a course and I think it's for guests only, but it was a fun diversion for the guys. It would be a good place to practice though!

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long overdue trip report...

Thanks for the report. I applaude you for organizing a group of this size. I starting whining when I organize a group of 6! Thanks again for sharing.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
396 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long overdue trip report...

3Arches, thank you for the (belated) trip report! Please add more comments if you were able to visit the Rain Forest, Whim, Forts, etc. as it sounds like your group had a great time. Did you get large vans or a number of car rentals to get around? Did you get a group discount from Gentle Winds? Sorry you misunderstood some comments about the Buck Island Reef...our understanding from friends is if we didn't get to snorkel there before Hugo, either proceed to other reefs for more live coral (Cane Bay, Rainbow, Pelican, etc.) or just go for the boat ride & beach. Glad to hear you all had a great time just limin'!

…snapfish.com/snapfish/…

Edited: 13 October 2011, 22:51
Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long overdue trip report...

The idea of 30 people all staying at one place sounds like such a fun thing! Thank you for your trip report-- it sounds like you all had a fun time :)

Regarding some of the condo's being in better condition than others, I think most condos in the complexes around the island are privately owned and it's up to the owners to keep them in good condition. The ones right by the water seem to need more tender loving care. Salt water is hard on airconditioners, non plastic patio furniture, fridges, etc. I appreciate your help in telling us which ones were the better ones to stay in out at GW. I've wanted to stay in one of the three floor ones, but now after hearing about the third floor getting warm (something I never thought about) I think I'll skip that. We've walked all around Gentle Winds and the grounds look very well kept up and most of the units looked good, some more than others. Thank you for your hints on which ones to stay in. :)

Paula

henniker,NH
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long overdue trip report...

Paula,

We stay at GW unit I1. Have been staying there for years. The owners keep it up very nice. It is the first building unit farthest to the right .(looking from the pool) Would highly recoment it. PM me if you want more info.

Bob

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long overdue trip report...

Thank you Bob. Did that unit have all the air conditioning compressors from the units in that building at the side of it? We noticed that situation while walking around the unit that (if you're looking back at the buildings from the pool) is farthest to the left. And we wondered if having all those compressors at the side of that unit made it noisy... The unit you're speaking of may not have this problem--- IF it's a problem. That's one of the chances you take when renting a place blindly. And one of the perks of having

We rented out at Coakley Bay condos one year and discovered we were right over the laundry room for that building! It honestly wasn't that loud... but we would have rather not known every time someone was down there washing while we were peacefully out on our balcony... It seems most condos out that way now have their own washer/dryer in the condo so that's probably not a concern anymore. Thanks for the help about Gentle Winds.

Edited to add: Sorry-- I meant to send this as a PM, but I'll leave it in case your answer may help others in their decision.

Paula

Edited: 15 October 2011, 18:46
henniker,NH
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Long overdue trip report...

The only noise problem we have ever had was once people in the unit above .

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted