We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chenay Bay vs Tamarind Reef

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New City
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Chenay Bay vs Tamarind Reef

I lived in STX about 20 years ago for a year. I am going back for a week to see all the changes! I want to stay out east, as I had always stayed at The Waves. I am pretty sure that Chenay Bay fits my needs, but have not been able to get through to the resort on the phone and they have not replied to an email sent over a week ago, which makes me very concerned.

Tamarind Reef also seems like a place I would like, however they are a bit pricier.

Single woman in her 40s, are both resorts 'safe'? It's been a long time since I was there.

Other then the Buccaneer (way to pricy) and Divi (do not want all-inclusive) any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chenay Bay vs Tamarind Reef

I know Tamarind Reef very well and it's definitely safe- most of it is gated and has a 24 hour guard. They don't want anyone messing with the yachts in the marina. The people on the other hand... Just kidding!

Edited: 05 April 2012, 01:44
Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chenay Bay vs Tamarind Reef

I have never felt any safety issues at Chenay Bay. It is not gated, but I've never seen anyone other than guests or staff walking through the resort. And it is so small, you usually get to know the other guests.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chenay Bay vs Tamarind Reef

If you are going by yourself, you might want to look at Hotel on the Cay. It is on an island in C'sted harbor and is very safe and the town is right there just a ferry ride away. It is a good place for someone travelling alone.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
13 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chenay Bay vs Tamarind Reef

I stayed at both places 2 years ago. I started at Chenay Bay and checked out early. The accommodations I was given were very much below satisfactory. I then went to Tamarind Beach and had a positive experience.

Have you considered renting a small villa or condo? I now like having all the conveniences of home when I'm on St. Croix.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
291 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chenay Bay vs Tamarind Reef

Take Saffie's advice, if you're staying alone, HOTC is the place to be. Had you been "TANDEM", a condo would give you thrice the space for your place. TS, don't discound the "cabins" on the favored West side too. There are bargains out there if you're flying solo! Chenay Bay is far and away past the "projects" so safety isn't really an issue. The nicer joints uptown (i.e.' Sugar Beach) where the crime rate soars have security and concertina wire in the bushes so they're set! Tiny Umbrellas at the ready for Cruzan Rum!!!

New City
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chenay Bay vs Tamarind Reef

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear both are safe. I like to be spoiled while traveling, no condos for me!! I like the rare days of vacation when someone else makes the dang bed!!

I do plan on renting a car and roaming the island so HOTC isn't what I am looking for.

Anyone have any other opinions...Chenay or Tamarind?

Thanks again.

Camp Hill...
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chenay Bay vs Tamarind Reef

Never stayed at Chenay. Stayed at Tamarind once 5 years ago. Our room then was outdated - but very clean and comfortable - and staff was friendly and responsive. My house is in between the two, distance-wise. So I visit both.

Tamarind Reef - Beach: usually less crowded, better snorkeling, more ants, fewer noseeums, more shade, less beach walking area, less swimming (without seagrass) area. TR also has a very nice pool. Bar: about even. Deep End bar is close to rooms, however, and it can get noisy when there are special events. That could be the case at Chenay too. But never experienced it. Dining: Galleon at the marina at Tamarind has better food and no mosquitoes (because it's inside). Chenay restaurant is outdoors and I need to spray down.

As for safety, I have to disagree with the previous comments about the gates at Tamarind and the lack of non-guests at Chenay. The gates don't really matter - locals frequent both, and without 3rd degree at Tamarind, Regardless, I still view each as safe. In the last few years, I've only heard of one assault near Chenay (but on the beach between Chenay and marina, not on Chenay property). But I still walk my dog on that stretch frequently. Just not when it's deserted. My preference by a slight margin is Tamarind. But it all depends on what matters to you. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

8. Re: Chenay Bay vs Tamarind Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:41
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted