We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report #7 con't

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
558 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report #7 con't

We both are charmed with this eighties something young lady- her husband died when he was 97 we are told. I order a Fresh Fresh and silently pray I will live that long.

We order sandwiches and continue to chat with her. She is just an amazing person. She gives me her address & I promise to send her a book I have: Nine boats, Nine kids, a true chronicle by Jeanne St. Andre' Merkel. We met her in Guana Cay in 2005 at a Barefoot Man's free concert.

LESSON: Always talk to local people, they have such wonderful things to share and good advice.

We decide to drive over to Sand Castle and see what is going on. Not too much. We have a couple of drinks and hit the water.Later we drive the coast road back towards Christensted. Randy wants to go back to Cheeseburgers for the entertainment and the BBQ ribs so that evening we pile in the Yaris and head out that way. We only spend $50.00 on the ribs/sandwich for me, a far cry from our big night at Duggan's. We have always had great service here and the food has been great. We head back and fix a nightcap and jump in the pool. Tomorrow is Monday and we decide to do laundry before we leave on Wednesday for San Juan. We are traveling with only carry-ons for an experiment. No big bags with dive equipment/too many clothes!!!!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report #7 con't

Becky, many thanks for your trip reports. You have a great writing style that makes me feel like I'm sitting next to you at the bar!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
558 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report #7 con't

Thank you! I feel bad about waiting so long to finish and I hope I am not being too wordy. I just get started and then the space ends! Didn't there used to be a place where trip reports were posted separately? B

PS, next time we go back (probably in May) I will save a chair for you at EAT.

Edited: 13 June 2012, 17:41
South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report #7 con't

Itzbrecky: Actually I think your reports are too short :) I'm just getting into it and the story ends. We also have found that it adds so much to a trip to take time to experience the people that live on the island and see the island through their eyes. One of our best "tours" was on our least favorite island when we told the taxi driver that begged us to take one of THE tours that we would go with him for 2 hours but not to any of the tour spots but we wanted him to show us what he loved about his island ... absolutely the best tour we have gone on!!

Anyway I would be interested in exactly how you did carry-on's only for a week stay!!! I'm guessing undies and swim suits and you bought toiletries once you got there ????

Hope there are more installments to your trip!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
558 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report #7 con't

Lynne, I have a computer list that I use when we go diving and we always end up taking too many clothes. This time I made a list for just the carry on experiment. We spent 8 days in St. Croix, did laundry and went back to San Juan for another 8 days in the Rain Forest Area near Nagaubo and Luquillo Beach. When went home of course we had a lot dirty clothes,, but I found that there were two dresses and two pairs of slacks that I never wore.We took 8 sets of underwear, t-shirts, tops for shorts and of course our bathing suits. It is amazing what you can cram into an expandable Samsonite carry on. We also had a personal bag each that was very big and fit under the seats. We carried our phones, camera, binoculars, flashlites, and small sizes of bug spray and mosquito coils (never used). When it was time to pack up and go home we put all the clean unused clothes in one and all the dirty in another. I brought limited amounts of makeup which I never used and 3oz sizes of other things. You can really do it unless you want to dress to the nines, so to speak.

We always say that if we forget to pack something we will either do without it or buy it on the other end. Vacation is supposed to be stressfree as possible, right? When we pull out of our driveway to go to the airport we have a rule that we cannot talk about work or family/problems. The person who breaks the rule has to pay a $50 fine that goes into the kitty for the next vacation and has to buy the other party a drink. I know, we aren't playing with a full deck, but we sure do have fun!! By the way, alot of my relatives live/lived in Indiana, like Mentone and Ft. Wayne area.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report #7 con't

You and Randy sound like a fun couple of folks. My hubs and I stayed at Carrington's twice and we also asked to pay for laundry service and were turned down. I guess it is hard work running an Inn. I did not care for the fact that you could not print your boarding passes on the guest lap top. Next time we are taking Margy Z's advice and staying at the Smugglers Retreat Villa. It looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing your stories. I sure enjoyed reading about your vacation.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
558 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report #7 con't

Just to let you know that the lap top outside is hooked up to a printer and we had no problem printing our Jet Blue boarding passes out on the day of return. The housekeeper did say to me that if I only had a "few" things that she could include with the towels or sheets that she would do that for us. But we had a large load of stuff which we did at the new laundry in town. It cost less there that it does here in Chesapeake! I take horse blankets here and it costs a fortune for washing/drying.

We are considering the Crow's Nest at Cottages by the Sea next time. I have stayed in enought 4-5 stars to last me a lifetime.

Thanks for responding.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report #7 con't

He said he needed his wife to hook up a printer last Dec. That is good to know. Thanks for sharing.

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report #7 con't

Got the idea and thanks Itzi ..the first year we went to St.Croix instead of our usual cruise I only thought I cut way back .... last year I took about half of what I took the first year but when we got home this year I made a list of all the things that I took and never wore. The first year I took make up ... last year I took 1 eye shadow and mascara and lip gloss. So I think I just MIGHT be able to do the carry on only for 2 weeks. Both years I ran laundry the day before we left and the feeling of coming home with hardly any dirty clothes was a thrill.

We are about an hour to an hour and a half Northwest of Ft. Wayne ... Elkhart .. which is next door to Notre Dame and about 5 minutes from the Michigan border. The law firm that I worked for has an office in FTW ... small world eh?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report #7 con't

You gave me a great idea when you posted about making the stop in Puerto Rico! We decided to do a one night stay in Puerto Rico and fly into STX early the next day! I always think I want to check it out. but never have taken the time

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
558 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report #7 con't

Well, we actually had to buy tickets on Delta from Norfolk, Va to Atlanta, but we used our points on our Air Tran CC to fly free from

Atlanta to San Juan. We got there early enough to catch the afternoon flight on Jet Blue over to St. Croix ($90RT). On the way back from St. Croix we stayed over in San Juan for 8 days south of San Juan in the rain forest. We liked it so much last year we had to go back. I am playing the airline game right now trying to find reasonable tickets for our annual dive trip to Cozumel. The price has come down almost $100 per person in the last two weeks. They have us right where they want us, don't they!!!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted