We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

groceries?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
groceries?

We're going to be staying at SCOB in February. We won't have a car for the first 3 days and we're wondering if there is somehow of getting some groceries or other more inexpensive restaurant options other than the hotel's cafe that we can get to without a car. Or if we need a drive, how much would a cab cost to get to a grocery store or into Frederiksted? Or how long would it take to walk.

Thanks everyone :)

st. croix USVI
Level Contributor
428 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: groceries?

Yes, no problem. Just put some coffee in your bag. If you require breakfast cereal, pack that too.

Just get your taxi to stop at a grocery and get the rest of the provisions. Not a big deal

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: groceries?

Thanks rcarp626. Forgot to mention that we don't have a full kitchen. I believe we will have a small fridge. So I guess what I'm wondering is are the restaurants, etc. within walking distance from the hotel? Or will we need to cab it for the first few days?

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
621 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: groceries?

Turtles Deli is about a mile up the beach from Sand Castles....a good walk during the day but wouldn't do it at night...but turtles is closed at night anyway....great home baked goodies and huge sandwiches.....my favorite is curried chicken salad with mango chutney on homemade multigrain bread. Another mile into town are several cafes for eating and drinking...try Pollys at the Pier. On the way through town stop at the Caribbean Museum of Art in a restored Danish building. Also check out the Fort and the gift shop there , many interesting items, many made on St. Croix.

If I were you I would taxi to the Plaza Extra supermarket on your first day, load up on snacks and breakfast foods and your favorite beverages. Then explore for lunch and dinner. Frederiksted also has a great bike rental place called Freedom Bikes....lots of flat terrain and beautiful scenery (in fact Sand Castles might even have a bike or two to borrow to go into town. Don't miss the N2TheBlue dive shop close to Pollys, great snorkeling and dive packages (even for the non diver). And once you get the car make it to Rainbow Beach bar further down the West Shore Road, great for sunnin', limin', sippin" and listenin' to great music.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: groceries?

Great advice, Stx203, thanks!

Maine
Level Contributor
871 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: groceries?

We have spent time at the property next door to SCOB (Cottages) the past two Novembers and it was highly recommended that we not walk to town at night. We are not timid, or inexperienced, travelers and we concur. That said, we love that area and will stay at Cottages again as soon as we can save up to go back! The restaurant at SCOB is wonderful and open Friday thru Monday night. We have always had a car during our stay so I'm not even sure there are taxis around at night. Turtles? Excellent! I second the chicken curry & mango, yum, but every sandwich we've had there is really good! I would eat at SCOB at night or rent a car a few days early.

Enjoy your trip. St. Croix is really wonderful and you will be on the best beach!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: groceries?

Thanks everyone, I think we're going to look into getting the car a few days early

7. Re: groceries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Frederiksted
Recent Conversations