We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

introductory scuba diving

Maryland
Level Contributor
588 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
introductory scuba diving

We are arriving via cruise ship December 22 with port time 0800 to 1730. Our teens, who have never gone scuba diving, would like to do an introductory scuba dive. Do you recommend a particular dive shop for this?

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: introductory scuba diving

Not being a scuba diver I really shouldn't voice an opinion on something I know almost nothing about but most Scuba places require certificates before taking you diving UNLESS you are there long term and take instructions ... you can take scuba classes locally BEFORE going on cruise ... anxious to see what those that really know something first hand advise :)

south carolina
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: introductory scuba diving

Actually, you MAY be able to do what some refer to as a resort dive. We are certified and dove with St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures or SCUBA. Look them up and give them a call. They are really friendly. While in St. Croix, I also saw a group diving with Cane Bay. They were not certified. If they do this for you, it will require some instruction, but I THINK you can do it all in the same day.

Windsor, New York
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: introductory scuba diving

Check out N2Blue, they are located in front of the pier. http://www.n2blue.com/ My kids the Discover Dive with them in August.

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: introductory scuba diving

N2 The Blue is within 100 yards of the ship! Call them to make arrangements first, you'll have a fabulous time! See if Jenny Keith might be available as the instructor, she is an excellent teacher and great with teens, also is a world class underwater photographer!

New Britain...
Level Contributor
908 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: introductory scuba diving

Our kids (young adults) did the intro dive with N2 the Blue and had such a good time that they did a second dive with them later in the week.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: introductory scuba diving

Well.. I responded to this yesterday, at least I think I did but my post is not here now. Anyway, I have done the resort/introductory course 4 different times over the years with my sons. We did it at Long Reef,Cane Bay and at the Carambola. All of the 3 different companies were easy to work with and it was fun. Cane Bay Divers was the cheapest but if I were to do it again I would do it at the Carambola. It was much simpler to do the actual diving then I imagined and all 3 operators about the same as far as the teaching part. The Carambola site has a nice small reef system right offshore and was the best for seeing a good variety of sealife. One more comment about all of this, for my money I'd rather go to Buck Island. If I were only allowed one underwater excursion per trip, Buck Island is way better. I attribute this to the fact that the dive operators will only allow you to go down to a depth of 45 ft. or so. You really don't see a whole lot more than if you were to snorkle over the same area that they take you to. I know I sound like a broken record but there are those purists who go to BI and complain that the reef is dead and that they didn't enjoy the experience. I had gone to BI at least 10 times before I read that the reef is dead. I went there last month and had a terrific time. The amount & types of fish that you see at BI just can't be matched anywere else on STX. Plus if you go to BI you also get to spend time on that spectacular beach out there. I had fun on the dive deals and would do it again without hesitation but I'd say that the fun of the dive thing was simply put, the actual experience of diving... not what I was able to see while down there.

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: introductory scuba diving

St.CroixTraveler: I'm with you on the fact that while I appreciate the value and preservation of the reef living where I do and never having seen much more than river carp and tree stumps I found the reef off of BI a sight that I will never forget! Up until that time I thought snorkeling was yellow fish and an occasional bright blue fish ... I am so claustrophobic that diving would not be something I would enjoy but just wanted to add my 2 cents while I do appreciate saving reefs even dead they are beautiful!!

8. Re: introductory scuba diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Frederiksted