We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapphire Beach Resort

Columbia, sc
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Sapphire Beach Resort

Hi.. We are planning to be in St. Thomas April 6th -13th. W are renting a condo at the Sapphire Beach Resort. I am soooo nervous after reading negative reviews. We are not a picky family that expcects to be waited on hand and foot, but do like things clean! Not real worried about restaraunts or bars, we have a rental car and plan on grocery shopping and stocking up on our or drinks. All we want is some quality time with our ver y fast growing 11 & 8 year old boys, sunshine and a good tan! We have never snorkeled before and are looking forward to that.. Any other suggestions of fun things to do would be greatly appreciated.. I really enjoy this forum and love reading about St. Thomas!

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort

I wouldn't be too worried. Sapphire is in a beautiful location and the resort is nice. We have stayed there many times and never had a bad experience, though I know others have. Our room has always had daily maid service and been clean.

As for things to do, if you have a car, travel the entire island. Go to Mountain Top for a daquiri, Paradise Point for sunset, Magens for the day, coki for a snorkel on a da with no ships in. Go to Duffys one night and pick another place from the many awesome restaurants there to dine out at least one night. Don't worry, you wll have a great time!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort

Maybe I can shed a little light on the Sapphire units are not clean issue.

The tile floor of the units are losing their finish, and need to be replaced. This causes them to appear dirty even though it isn't dirt it is just the under layer of the tile.

Why don't the owners replace them ?

Well some have, but the problem is that the sliders are going to have to be replaced as soon as the condo association can afford to do so. When that is done the tile floors will be damaged and have to be repaired. Therefore many owners are waiting to replace the tile until the sliders are replaced.

One other point, some owners have posted on various boards that you get a better maintained unit if you rent privately. The truth of the matter is that owners try to rent their units privately but the same units are often also in the rental plan. So you may wind up with the exact same unit either way.

Generally you can get a cheaper rate renting privately, but you lose out on some things as well. You don't get a free breakfast, beach towels, beach chairs, and the use of the dive shop and all it's equipment. Also if the unit has a pipe break or is unrentable you are on your own until it is repaired .

I rent my unit privately but disclose this information to renters in advance, some others do not.

l

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort

I wouldn't worry, beaconlane. We've stayed at a number of places on the island and Sapphire Beach (even without the restaurants/bars running) is our favorite, hands down. I usually rent directly from a condo owner through vrbo.com and we've had great luck. The family staying next door to us on the last visit had rented through the resort and said their first unit was in bad need of cleaning and updating...they went to the office and expressed their dissatisfaction and were given a much nicer unit at the same price.

Your boys are going to love it and what a perfect place to learn to snorkel! Have a great vacation!!

Columbia, sc
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort

Thanks so much... Only 12 more days :) We are renting directly from an owner so I am hoping for good things.

Jamaica, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort

Hi beaconlane. Would you please post your review on Sapphire beach condo. My gf and I planning to be there from 4/21 till 4/28/07, I booked whole package through travel agency, but the fact that resort doesn't have restaurant/bar sound inconvinient. Have fun and don't forget to share the feelings. Thanks and good luck.

Columbia, sc
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort

I will definately fill you in on Sapphire Resort when we get back. I have a "feeling" its going to be Okay!

NJ
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort

Does any one know when the bar/restaurant will be reopening ? I am looking to travel there in July...hopefully that will be up and running by then

Columbia, sc
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort

Well it is now April 14th and we just returned last night from a FANTASTIC vacation in St. Thomas at the Sapphire Beach Resort. I know that there are a few of you that wanted some input on the resort as thre reviews are not great for it. Here is my view and 2 cents worth.....

1. If you are looking for a fancy, 5 star resort ... this is not the place for you. The units are old and rather "weathered", there is not any restraunts on the grounds aside from a little grill stand that sells hamburgers, fish and chicken sandwiches and hotdogs.. (all very good) there is also a gift shop/maket that has things that range from sunscreen (very expensive, be sure to bring a ton from home) to batteries and snacks. There is also a little "bar" outside of the gift shop that sells drinks. My advice, buy your own liquour (its extremely cheap) actually cheaper than the tub of ice cream we bought :)

About the units... We rented from a private owner and were in C-107. It was very lovely. All brand new tile, kitchen cabinets and counter tops. The bathroom was all new as well. It was great to open out sliding glass door and litterally step onto the beach... LOCATION IS FANTASTIC! Now, our neighbor rented from the resort and I must say her room was not very nice. It was very old and outdated, bedding rather yucky looking, bathroom was dark and dingy and the tub was pretty gross. but again, LOCATION! we really did not spend a whole lot of time in our room. The beach is great, our kids loved snorkeling everyday; and met so many kids and just had a great time.

Car.... We rented a car and would recommend it. The driving was not as bad as some say. yes, they drive on the other side, not really a big deal. The roads are very narrow and hilly, but we just took it slow and did just fine, as a family of 4, we definatly saved money by not taking taxi's... VERY EXPENSIVE! We also took the car ferry to St. John... AWESOME PLACE... beaches are beautiful, try and see them all!!! We drove the whole island, again very steep and windy roads, but what a veiw! I hope this helps... I think if you go into this place with the right expectaions you will do fine... We will definately return!! Email me if you have any more questins.

st. louis
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort

beaconlane- We are renting a condo from an owner June 3rd thru 9 at Sapphire. Never been to St. Thomas, so really looking forward to it. Anything you can tell us about good places to eat and drink?? thanks.

Duncan, South...
Level Contributor
578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort

Hi dartchic

Sapphire Beach is a VERY pretty beach. You can get supplies in Red Hook, very close by. Also plan to take the Red Hook ferry to St. John for the day. See Trunk Bay and there are some nice places to eat on St. John. I love sailing to the BVI (white bay) on the daydreamer. It sails from Sapphire Marina but docks at the Wyndham Resort a short distance away. Have FUN........

Mike