We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St-Thomas - should we cancel

1 post
Save Topic
St-Thomas - should we cancel

Hello,

I hope people are getting back on there feet. Lots of thoughts and prayers for St-Thomas and the USVI.

We have a trip planned for the beginning of march 2018, and i am wondering if we should cancel.

Could anyone guide me in the right direction?

Thank you, prayers for the USVI and BVI

28 replies to this topic
Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St-Thomas - should we cancel

It's really difficult to advise you. Based on photos I have seen, I doubt that STT will be fully operational by March, although your decision certainly depends on where you had planned to stay and its current condition. If your accommodations will be ok by then I guess that you need to ask yourself if you are willing to visit if all of the attractions, restaurants, etc., are not all up and running.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
44 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St-Thomas - should we cancel

We had reservations at the Marriott Frenchman's Cove in late May and decided to cancel. It's going to take a while to rebuild the island. St Johns was hit pretty hard as well. We'll come back in a few years, but not next year.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St-Thomas - should we cancel

I've drop my excursion to St Thomas Virgin Islands from Oct 18-26. I trusted that was the best choice because of the obliteration of the island. Tragically, i've lost $550, yet wellbeing comes first, I figured it will be astute to go somewhere else until the point when the island ends up plainly sound and stable once more.

4. Re: St-Thomas - should we cancel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2017, 16:05
 
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St-Thomas - should we cancel

That the islands are suffering and need to rebuild there is no doubt. The trees have been stripped of their leaves and the infrastructure severely damaged. But the rebuilding has begun, the bushes and trees will leaf out again, most roads have been cleared and basic services are slowly being restored. The islands only industry is tourism and it needs you to make it function. If you were asking "should I go for Thanksgiving?" I'd say you should probably cancel. "Christmas?" go, but be prepared to be inconvenienced by the lack of services. But April? I'd go. There will still be visual reminders like FEMA tarps but I expect to see them for years to come.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
210 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St-Thomas - should we cancel

After Sandy hit New Jersey hard in 2012, we're still seeing reconstruction and it took over a year for my favourite restaurant to reopen (which I'm going to tonight since my Hilton Head trip got canceled). The month after Sandy was pretty bad, but as more infrastructure got rebuilt, it got easier. I still plan to go in Feb, if the places I booked are open. I know there will still be a lot of stuff closed, but pretty sure there will be plenty of fish to see, People can be pretty resilient!

4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St-Thomas - should we cancel

I was planning on getting married there in June 2018. Does anyone know if that's far enough away that it will be closer to normal by then? Meaning beach access, resorts open, restaurants.. I think 9 months would be a good amount of time since they need tourists asap. Opinions?

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,851 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St-Thomas - should we cancel

Yes, let the islands recover enough to welcome you back...you'll know when that is.

Edited: 13 September 2017, 14:22
Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St-Thomas - should we cancel

I have vacation planned December 02nd... I dont know if I should cancel or not.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St-Thomas - should we cancel

As stated in another thread - more information is needed - primary to that is where are you staying?

Reply to: St-Thomas - should we cancel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted