We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

Washington State
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

We will be visiting St. Thomas for a week for the first time in July. We like to snorkel, dine in and out, and get to know the local area and people. We will have a car. I'm looking at staying at a condo at Point Pleasant or Sapphire Beach. The rooms and prices seem comparable and have great views. The difference I see is Sapphire sits on a long sandy beach and is walking distance to Red Hook. I've also read that Point Pleasant sustained "significant damage". Beyond that, what other considerations should one take in choosing between the two? As I write, I am leaning toward Sapphire. Any advice and guidance is appreciated.

9 replies to this topic
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,682 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

Not advisable to walk to Red Hook from Sapphire. No sidewalk. Twisty road with blind curves, and is pretty busy by St Thomas' standards. Yes, visitors do it, but people drink and drive, too, which isn't safe.

Point Pleasant is on a hill and there are lots of steps. But, many of the units give you lots of privacy depending on the location. Point Pleasant may also offer more services. Some units probably suffered damage and some at Sapphire did, too, so any units advertised as available are cleaned up and ready for visitors.

Sapphire is a beautiful beach. Only you know your priorities.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

To me the major difference is Point Pleasant is on very high hill.and Sapphire is on a beautiful beach steps away from the ocean.

Point Pleasant doesn’t have much of a beach. Sapphire is on a beautiful beach

If a view is a priority choose PP. if the priority is Beach then Sapphire

Edited: 21 January 2018, 01:17
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

"If view is a priority" PP has some units that are down close to Water Bay and others that are high up with soaring views to the east. If the view is the priority I'd choose one of the units up on the hill. PP has a couple of nice pools and very nice nature trails. The beach is small and shaded in the afternoon - it's likely changed I haven't been on it post Irmaria. The waterside restaurant is closed due to damage but the operation has moved up to the old Agave Terrace. Mirador is the name, Puerto Rican themed food. Three of us ate there last month. We shared dishes we enjoyed mains and sides except for the overcooked salmon. The decor needs help which is excusable since they had only just opened.

Another option at Sapphire might be Sapphire Village (disclaimer - I'm an owner) great views and a nearby beach. Bill (an owner at Sapphire Beach) I think has an aversion to hills and stairs so he's usually quick to point out that it's built on a BIG HILL with lots of stairs however two of the 7 buildings foundations are at sea level, same as the beach. Unfortunately, the poolside restaurant Slice VI) is still closed after the storms as the owners sort through issues and problems created at other properties that had damage. Hopefully, this issue will be rectified quickly.

If views and beach are both a priority I'd go with Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina building D&E or Sapphire Village in one of the Marina front building or St Vincent. If nature and solitude is more your gig I'd go with PP

Edited: 21 January 2018, 12:15
Atlantic Beach, New...
Level Contributor
314 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

Now that you’ve been given more than enough information I suggest you go onto vrbo or Airbnb and let the properties speak for themselves. Look at the pictures of the inside of the condos very closely as well as the views.

If you need help with anything just ask.

Washington State
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

Thank you all for the responses and the details. It confirms what I suspected; elevated views versus beachfront. Both complexes seem similar in quality and price so there it is. We will be coming from a place on St. John that isn't on a beach so that may be the priority. Disappointed that Red Hook isn't safely walkable. Well, t's time to go make the decision. Can't wait for July.

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

I booked Point Pleasant 2 months ago or so for 3 nights in April. Now they say on their website that only the middle pools is open and the middle restaurant . Internet only in the lobby. It also says they are basically only accepting reservations from contractors so I don't know how we weaseled in our reservation. They did switch out room from the one we booked to another unit way up on the hill. It sounds like they don't want visitors at this time so I am perplexed. I wish they would have told us this from the onset and we would have just booked elsewhere.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,682 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

Before the storms Point Pleasant had a shuttle that took guests to nearby beaches and shopping areas.

From Point Pleasant you can walk to Margaritaville next door, the tiny beach at Sugar Bay (which probably won't be open to visitors), and to Coki. According to reviews, all those beaches had/have good snorkeling and only Coki may be what some consider crowded.

Keep in mind the cruise ships offer Sapphire as an excursion, though that's always subject to change. They don't offer excursions to Margaritaville or Point Pleasant as far as I know.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,086 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

The cruise lines don't offer excursions to PP because it's a tiny beach nor to the beach at Margaritaville because it's not a particularly good beach and there's next to no snorkeling. The cruise ship people really have little impact on Sapphire as they stay in one area while the beach is plenty big enough for everyone to find a quiet spot. They're only there for a couple of hours too.

Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach

I’d definitely choose Sapphire Village over Sapphire Beach. Much nicer ambience and quieter overall. More private. It’s a very easy walk to Sapphire beach. SB pool needed some major updating even before the hurricanes came through.

Reply to: Point Pleasant and Sapphire Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted