We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do they open your suitcases at customs??

Level Contributor
438 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Do they open your suitcases at customs??

When you leave to come home from St. Thomas do they open all your suitcases and bags? I

Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,331 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do they open your suitcases at customs??

It depends, some people are singled out for a complete inspection in which case they will go through your bags, very thoroughly I might add. Others are simply asked if they have anything to declare and if they answer "NO" are waved through with bearly a nod from the Customs Agent. The thing is you never know who will be subjected to the thorough inspection. The moral is don't try to hide any contraband in your luggage.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do they open your suitcases at customs??

So true. You never know. Last year I took a trip with my family and they decided to open the suitcase I had. Many times it's just random, so never pack anything you don't want customs to find. It's just not worth it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do they open your suitcases at customs??

I understand the customs agents in STT are specially selected for their psychic ability.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do they open your suitcases at customs??

It's a toss up...you never know when it will be "your turn." So...don't ever take anything you don't want anyone else to see because lots of folks will take a gander at it if you happen to end up being one of the chosen ones. They are much more observant and thorough these days, I might add...in terms of Xrays, too.

Level Contributor
370 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do they open your suitcases at customs??

Please be aware that US Customs Officers are not the only ones that may open baggage.

Last week my bags were opened by TSA screeners.

6. Re: Do they open your suitcases at customs??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 12:19
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question