We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average cost?

Austin
2 posts
Save Topic
Average cost?

I'm planning on one of two vacations for next year, either a 9 day cruise or a 10 day stay in St Thomas. I'm thinking 9 days on a cruise ship would be a bit much, so I'm leaning towards St. Thomas.

If I do go that route, what is the average vacation cost? I will be bringing someone along with me for the trip and I'm personally planning on having ~$4K for the trip, plus whatever she can put in. Is that enough?

East Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average cost?

I guess it depends on when you're going and where you're going to stay. I use expedia.com for all my vacations and have always seemed to get the best price from them. I am leaving for STT on 7/22 there are 3 adults and one child traveling and we're staying st the Morning Star part of the Marriott. We paid with air from Newark and 5 nite/6day stay 770 pp. . Hope this helps.

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Average cost?

We have become quite the budget travellers because we are a family of 4. We just returned yesterday from 2 weeks in the VI and didn't spend 4K for the entire trip.

First, check which airport you can get the best deal from. We had to travel 50 miles but it saved us $35 pp. We split the trip between Cape Air and US Air and it was less than $400 pp (we are in VA).

If you book accommodations with a kitchen, you will save big $$. We brought our own meats (frozen) and some snack foods (again, we have teenagers). We ate out 6 or 7 times in 2 weeks, there are so many great places to eat! This can be the most expensive part of the trip for us. You accomodations can vary greatly as well. Check with vrbo.com, maybe you can get a good price on a villa. We stayed at Cinnamon Bay campground and Sapphire Beach Resort.

We rent a car, taxi's charge per person and for luggage. The car was a mid-size from Thrifty for $220 per week. If there are just 2 of you, taxi's may be fine. We like to explore and go everywhere.

Cruises are fun, too. The meals are included and that is nice. Personally, I would prefer 10 days in STT with a day trip to STJ. Stay on a resort wih a beach, there is nothing like sitting on the beach at night with a rum drink! Good luck.

3. Re: Average cost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 08:22