We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

Hi there,

Doing a lot of snorkeling on our own when we're in St Thomas & St John next week. Where can I buy some adult-sized, inflatable snorkel vests for less than $50 each? Store name & directions to the store from the Sapphire Beach area? We're renting a car, so we'll be able to drive anywhere. Thanks!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

My suggestion would be to go to any dive store or sporting goods store in Chicago and they should have them for less or about the same as STT. We went to the dive shop here in Orlando and got our for $26 each.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

Unfortunately, the sporting goods stores only carry the heavier life vests. Also, since it's winter here, these stores carry very little stock on snorkel equipment at all. I then checked the few scuba shops that are here, and both charge $50 for the inflatable vests.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

Try Chris Saywer Dive Shop. They have 3 on the island I believe and 1 on St. John if i am not mistaken. The one that I go to often (got 8 sets of masks and snorkels over like 15 years for me my family) is in Red Hook next to Molly Malones. I hope this helps!!

Helen

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

I would suggest you go to a dive store before you get to STT. They have to be cheaper near your hometown then down in the islands.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

Since you will wait until you get to STT, try some of the shops at Havensight mall. I know they carry them as my BIL picked one up last April when we were there. I can't remember what he paid for it, but I think it was around $40. Since you have a car, that will be no issue for you to go over there. Hope that helps. Have fun!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

There's a chandler in Redhook in the area where all the stores are. So, you might look here as well.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

I'm going to need to buy a snorkel mask when I get to STT. (Winter time in Maine is not the best time to look for snorkel gear.)

I'd like a place that's knowledgable since buying a mask has always been a problem for me. Seems like every one I get leaks around the edges!

Lastly, of course, I'd like not to spend an arm and a leg since I snorkel only on my trips to the Caribbean (once or twice a year).

So - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Divin' Dragon

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

WindyCity - you could also try CostULess and KMart (or call them when you get here) as both SOMETIMES carry vests and other flotation devices. As with shopping in general here, you can't always get what you want when you want it. CostULess is in Market Square East off the Weymouth Rhymer Highway and the big KMart is in Tutu Park Mall - both easy to find and an easy drive from Sapphire.

Travellingdragon - your best bet is somewhere like Chris Sawyer or any other dive shop to get a good fit. Cheers!

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

Will I pay a ton more for a mask going to a dive shop in STT over the states? A few bucks I don't mind - they STTers need to make a living.

Any specific recommendations for a shop in CA or Havensight?

Thanks,

Drownin' Dragon

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkel vest (inflatable)-where can I buy one in St. Thomas?

TravelinDragon, if you want advice on snorkel equipment, you should go to a place that specializes, like the snorkel rental booth in Coral World (not the Rasta who rents on the beach). I read somewhere that they guarantee you'll get appropriate equipment for your needs, and they specialize in advising seldom snorkelers. Don't know how their prices compare, but I'd be willing to pay a bit more just to get the expertise.

Get answers to your questions about St. Thomas
Recent Conversations