We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

weymouth, ma
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

We are going to St. Thomas on Thursday and staying at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef. Any advice? How did everybody like it who stayed there?

NC
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

Great place! The beach at Morningstar is great and The Reef is nice with a nice pool. Put the Havana Blue restaurant on your list and cocktails on the terrace at the Reef after dinner is very nice.

Don't forget to explore behind the Reef down the stairs and see the waterfall and heliport.

Taking the small hotel ferry into town for shopping is fun, too.

Enjoy, Joe & Olga

weymouth, ma
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

Thanks Joe & Olga... We can't wait to go... It looks like a great place!!! Did you visit the Yacht Haven Grande?

NC
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

Yes, the YHG is very nice to visit; some good shops and restaurants. They were building a restaurant out on a pier last time we were there this past fall but it wasn't complete yet. The yachts there are impressive. Visit if you have time but there are many more uniques places to visit on STT.

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

If you're staying at the Reef (not Morningstar), I would advise you to request a room in the "main building" with a "harbor view" - that way, you'll be looking out over the harbor towards downtown rather than overlooking the pool and the ocean (not a bad view, but the sun just beats on this side in the late afternoon, so your deck is essentially unusable and if you're in the room, you'll want to keep the curtains closed to keep the temp comfortable). Don't let them put you in the "harbor wing" or in the "seaview wing" as these are NOT in the main building and have no elevators.

If you're looking for a quick, relatively inexpensive breakfast (in comparison to the $21 daily buffet served on 3rd floor), the Prestos Market on 4th floor across from the elevator has bagels, pastries, coffee, fruit, cereal, milk, juice, etc. We found ourselves having toasted bagels and coffee in the room before venturing out for the day. There's also a fridge in your room - you can make a stop at one of the local grocery stores for drinks and snacks, if you'd like.

We've stayed at this hotel 5 times since 2001 and although it is 35 years old and at times is showing its age, it's a pleasant place to stay.

Rent a car if you can - the hotel has parking (not valet, though, which would be a nice addition). Driving is on left and it's not hard to do.

Another thing - there's a Marriott Vacation Club property under construction adjacent to the Frenchman's Reef - it's called the Frenchman's Cove. If you sign up to attend a 90 minute sales presentation, they'll give you $100 in "Experience Dollars" (4 @ $25 each) that you can use in any of the restaurants on the property. We went because we wanted to see the inside of the units - very nice. We didn't buy, though, as we weren't ready to make that commitment. It's not a tough sell, but they do try!

weymouth, ma
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

Thanks so much for your great information especially about the Market where you can get coffee, etc. in the morning as opposed to the huge breakfast... Did you visit any other beaches or just stay at the Reef?

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

We rented a car and visited Sapphire beach, Coki beach, and Magen's Bay. Coki is best for snorkeling, Sapphire is best for a nice beach atmosphere that isn't too crowded, and Magen's Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches on the planet; however, if there are lots of cruise ships, it will be very crowded. Check cruisecal.com for the number of ships to expect per day (it will also be listed each day on the newsletter they deliver to your door). Have fun! Wish I was headed back!

weymouth, ma
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

Sounds fabulous. I already had thought about Magen's Bay. One other little question... if the forecast on the internet says "Showers"... I hope that it's not "New England" showers... but, still some sun... and tropical showers...

weymouth, ma
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

Sounds fabulous. I already had thought about Magen's Bay. One other little question... if the forecast on the internet says "Showers"... I hope that it's not "New England" showers... but, still some sun... and tropical showers

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

If you checked the weather report every day for a year, I'd almost guarantee that every day would show a chance of showers. We had morning clouds, but they always burned off by afternoon. One morning, I sat at the pool in cloudless sunshine while I could tell it was raining on the nearby cruise ships! If it's raining in one spot on the island, it's probably sunny somewhere else. Go, enjoy - have fun!!!!

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel

The Marriott was great. We took the water taxi several times over to town. Be sure to rent a car if you haven't already, taxi's get costly. The typically run $8-$15 per person, each way. Coki beach was great if you have kids but, in my opinion it was way over crowded. I was there w/ my 10 year old and even he said, "let's get out of here". We had a much better time taking the fairy over to St. John. We snuba'd at Truck Bay - it was gorgeous and not crowded at all! There is a restaurant on the Marriott property, Havana Blue I think was the name, you can take the hotel shuttle there for dinner and it was fablous! One last tip, if there are a lot of cruise ships in that day trip to plan your events around them. Depending how many are in port there could be a lot of conjection. Enjoy your trip!