We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Thomas safe

1 post
Save Topic
St Thomas safe

Hear the Ritz is great and planning a honeymoon there. Now have received conflicting sories on the crime and safety issues. Could use some candid replies on this. n thanks!

Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Thomas safe

We have been going to St. Thomas for the last 12 years and never had a problem with crime - always felt safe. You need to use common sense - but that is all - I wouldn't worry!

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
100 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Thomas safe

My husband & I were married on St. Thomas 12 years ago. We have been there at least five times since then to spend a night or two before going over to St. John or the BVIs. I feel safe walking into town during daylight hours, but once the sun goes down I never walk alone. Even if I am with my husband, I am a little nervous walking at night. This being said, we've never experiences any problems.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Thomas safe

Common sense rules... (In two weeks it will be my 11-12-13th time there, so for what it is worth...)

There are areas around the island that I have found that make me 'uneasy' but have never felt threatened ever, like other parts of the Caribbean. The only area that I have personally been told to stay out of during the night is strangely enough, two blocks inland in Charlotte Amalie/shopping district. But then again, we go to Detroit for fun occasionally!

Red Hook (East end) can seem threatening too, but is a charm too, just use common sense again. I've never driven to the west end of the island, but have heard it is suppressed "residential."

As a side note, the biggest part of the charm and love for the island that I have is from off the 'tourist trail;' so when you are there, don't ever be afraid to take a drive/tour around. The wife and I on our trip are looking for our retirement home. (...and no, we aren't rich or old!)

Congrats BTW, we got married in St. Thomas and honeymooned there! (But... It was during hurricane Wilma, so the entire wedding party was there with us the ENTIRE time!)

Level Contributor
2,456 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Thomas safe

Forty plus years and never a problem. There are places I don't go especially at night but when I was young and bulletproof sundown didn't even stop me. Bad !#@* happens everyday and everywhere. Confusion and mixed signals are understandable because the hapless tourist that gets beaten and robbed is more newsworthy then the grocery clerk that was beaten on the same corner the week before. I don't want to blame the victims but at least half the group should be closer to sober then sloshed. People on vacation want to have fun and frequently drop their guard. Be prudent it's your best defense.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Thomas safe

We've been coming to STT for 20 years with no problem. Unfortunately, there is crime in STT; but it's everywhere in the world, isn't it?

Have a lovely time!

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Thomas safe

From my experience and from talking to locals the biggest problem you need to worry about is beach thieves. Don't leave anything valuable on your towel or in your bag and turn your back on it. You could go for a swim and come back and find your bag gone. It didn't happen to us but we were pretty careful.

One thing we would do about this is to make beach buddies when we settled down. We'd talk to the people settled next to us and agree that we'd help watch their stuff and they'd watch ours. It offered a little extra protection. Also whenever we'd take a beach walk we took anything we really cared about with us (money/camera).

I've also heard stories about people breaking into cars, but we didn't experience that.

I know all this can sound daunting, but please don't let it interfere with your vacation. All the people we met (tourists and locals) were warm and friendly. The ex-patriots especially love to talk about their new home. Enjoy yourself, but keep your eyes open.

-Ms Dragon

7. Re: St Thomas safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 12:21