We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon in St Thomas for Older Cruise ship guests.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon in St Thomas for Older Cruise ship guests.

My parents will be traveling on a Princess cruise in October of this year. They are in their late 70s but still healthy. My mom likes to shop and site see and my dad likes the beach. Is there a place they could go from the cruise ship without having to take an excursion that would make for a nice afternoon for them??

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon in St Thomas for Older Cruise ship guests.

There's a neat little tram ride up to a look out point near the shopping area (Havensight) for the cruiseships. Never been on a cruise to St. Thomas- we've stayed on the island so while I think it's right where they dock, I'm not positive. Magen's is the beach most people will recommend- it is lovely, there's a small fee to get in and they have picnic tables and some concessions as well. Near the entrance there's a great ice cream place that offers spiked milkshakes. When we swam at Magen's it was warm and calm and while there were over 100 people, it's a fairly big beach so it wasn't overwhelming like Coki.

They could also take a cab to Drake's seat- a look out point with a small tourist mall and great views and some food options- you are far above Magen's Beach. I'd stay away from Coki beach unless they like big crowds, people selling stuff, braiding hair, playing music, etc. It's very active. We did a shore dive there, but left right after to relax elsewhere- too noisy. There are lots of nice small beaches that are more peaceful, but I would suspect if your parents are like mine, they'll trade a little seclusion for a decent bathroom and maybe something to eat or drink on site. Sapphire beach is lovely- near Red Hook, and has great snorkeling, and sort of a windward and leeward portion. There's a beach restaurant and a few little shops for the resort there- but this would not meet the shopping requirement. I suspect they will need to go to two separate locations as I can't think of a beach/shopping experience right on top of each other.

For restaurants, if I could only pick one thing it would be Bill's Texas BBQ right from the trailer in Charlotte Amalie harbor, but for a more upscale experience, we like Banana Tree Grille (better and more expensive than the name would imply) in Bluebeard's Castle, or Herve, a charming French restaurant with nice views and ambience.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,026 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon in St Thomas for Older Cruise ship guests.

AstridWilson: I'd recommend that, once they're on board, they look into the shore excursions offered which are many and varied. There are many which fit the bill where your parents' particular wants and needs are concerned. Many of the excursions take in a shopping trip along with a beach trip.

If their ship is docked at Havensight, the adjacent Havensight Mall and Port of Sale are a shopper's heaven for your Mum. Crown Bay is a little more "iffy" and the shopping venues are sparser.

Just here for one day then any night-time dining is out of the question (sorry, last poster!)

Frequent cruise ship travelers, also here for just one day on an annual basis, find their way around in time and discover alternate ways to discover different parts of the island, usually by private taxis or rental vehicles. But that's not the case where your parents are concerned. Just here for one day and they just need to find the right excursion which will suit them both, which I really don't think will be a problem...

Accolades to you for asking on behalf of your parents. I hope they're very proud of you. Cheers!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon in St Thomas for Older Cruise ship guests.

If they're on a Princess ship they'll be using the Crown Bay docks, not Havensight. I "think" there are shopping/beach tours available which combine both but they can check that out with the ship.

I hope they enjoy themselves. There's certainly no shortage of shopping or beaches here.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,367 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon in St Thomas for Older Cruise ship guests.

Why don't they want an excursion?

There's some shopping at Crown Bay, but there may not be many stores open in Oct since season won't have started. Emerald Beach/Lindberg Bay is a $4 pp/ow taxi ride from Crown Bay.

They might want to consider the Pirate Harbor Tour for $19 pp for all day hop on/hop off. The ship runs back and forth from Crown Bay, town, and Yacht Haven Grande/Havensight with narration, so that should satisfy the shopper/sightseer. Then after returning to Crown Bay, they could take a taxi to Emerald Beach and back.

Tickets for the Pirate Harbor Tour are only available on the ship. We locals can't even get a ticket!

Dublin, GA
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon in St Thomas for Older Cruise ship guests.

They could get a taxi into Charlotte Amalie to shop, making sure to explore the numerous quaint alleys. They could take a ride to Secret Harbour, a lovely calm beach with a very good restaurant. Stanley gave us a great two hour island tour from there.

Maine
Level Contributor
353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon in St Thomas for Older Cruise ship guests.

I second Secret Harbour Beach Resort. Very quiet with calm water and not generally known about by the cruise ship crowd.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,026 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon in St Thomas for Older Cruise ship guests.

Secret Harbour is gorgeous but it HAS been discovered by some of the cruise ship people as several taxi drivers have been taking visitors there since the main restaurant at Sapphire closed down. Cheers!

8. Re: Afternoon in St Thomas for Older Cruise ship guests.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 15:17