We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 College Girls Hitting the Island

Saratoga Springs
3 posts
Save Topic
4 College Girls Hitting the Island

We know it's not a crazy Spring Break place - why we picked it! - and plan on spending most of our time on the beach and exploring the island. But any recommendations for a bar or two where we might be able to hang out with some younger people?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 College Girls Hitting the Island

Duffy's Love Shack and Lattitude 18 would be good for you guys IMO.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 College Girls Hitting the Island

Greenhouse, Shipwreck, Offshore, Sibs, Betsy's, Epernay if you are not on the East End.

My best suggestion would be to arrange ahead for a reliable, legitimate Taxi for a ride home - do not accept free rides, use Gypsy cabs or attempt late night walking or hitching.

Saratoga Springs
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 College Girls Hitting the Island

Sorry I didn't clarify details - we're staying at Bolonga Bay and not renting a car. Those sound great; are any of them particularly convenient?

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 College Girls Hitting the Island

Shipwreck and Offshore are the closest to BOLONGO bay - also check nearby at Paradise Point on Wed. evenings for sunset and live Jazz.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 College Girls Hitting the Island

IMO you should rent a car...taxi's charge per person each way. By the time you are down with your vacation, you would have spent the same amount as what it would cost to rent a car. Bolongo does not have a good beach (very rough). As far as bars go, at Bolongo, Iggie's is great. Greenhouse is in town and is pretty good...but you must try Duffy's. I hope this helps!

Helen

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,248 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 College Girls Hitting the Island

I agree about renting a car for at least several days, particularly since you say you want to explore the island. Those taxi fares add up VERY fast as they're per person. See link:

vinow.com/stthomas/…

Driving is very easy to get used to and the max speed is 35MPH with your average driving speed being closer to 20-25. If you don't qualify to rent a car because of age restrictions, just figure in taxi transportation costs as part of your budget and try to plan your trips accordingly. Have a great time. Cheers!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 College Girls Hitting the Island

I believe that as of this January Iggy's is closed during the day, but opens for dinner. The other restaurant is open for lunch, but we use to enjoy lunch at Iggy's and were disappointed when we found it closed.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 College Girls Hitting the Island

You can certainly save money by renting a car if you plan to explore the island and it is a fine suggestion - BUT-Driving a rental car on unfamiliar roads, after dark, on the wrong side of the road from what you are used to, after being at a bar and consuming any alcohol, especially for college age youths who may not even be legally old enough to drink anywhere but the VI is not worth any amount of savings.

Having a taxi for the ride home instead of a 'designated non-drinking driver' may well be a more enjoyable evening plan for the 4 young ladies and an investment any one of their parents would certainly be happy to make.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 College Girls Hitting the Island

I'm wondering where you are staying?

Duffy's, Lattitude 18, Iggies, Fungi's and Molly Mallone are few good places you can go to.

Also, take the people ferry over to STJ and go to the Beach Bar and Woody's.

Have funa1

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
498 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 College Girls Hitting the Island

Where is The Offshore located exactly?