We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magan or Sapphire Beach + town visit

St-lambert
Level Contributor
906 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Magan or Sapphire Beach + town visit

Bonjour

First time french Canadein will be in St Thomas on Mars 30, I want to do beach time to work on my canadien tan, and then visit the town before bording the ship, having like from 08:00 to 16:00 free time, any suggestion would be appreciated.

Merci

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Magan or Sapphire Beach + town visit

Magens & the driver can leave you in town to shop.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Magan or Sapphire Beach + town visit

I agree with the poster above me. I prefer Magen's Bay b/c the water is nicer and since you just want to work on your tan, it is the best beach. Some people say that it is "too crowded" but It is a mile long beach and there is room for everyone...just keep walking down the beautiful beach until you find a spot. I do not like the rough water on Sapphire but some people would say otherwise because there is usually less of a crowd there.

The taxi driver can drop you off later in town. Ask to be dropped off at "tent city" you'll know what I mean when you get there. That is the beginning of shopping in downtown Charlotte Amalie. If you just want to briefly shop, Havensight (by the cruise ship dock) has most of the basic shops there. I would go to town for Tent City...you can get most of your souvineers (especially t-shirts, and fake designer bags) there. I hope this helps!

Helen

mass.
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Magan or Sapphire Beach + town visit

megans bay, make sure you order a bushwacker drink ,get to the beach write after breafast. small entrance fee ,they have showers, you can rent chairs or floats , facing the ocean go down to the left less crowded for when the ship masses arrive, beautiful view ,you will think your in heaven, leave beach at 130 or 2pm to get your shoppinng done & get back on time for the ship. enjoy yourself, ive rented the float ,used it in the water& to lay on top of on the beach 2 for 1, ita easier to to carry down the beach rather than dragging a chair

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Magan or Sapphire Beach + town visit

Just to give you another alternative, the group that operates Magan's has taken over the operation of Smith Bay Beach. However, it is not fully developed yet. It is a beautiful beach and will be less crowded than the better known beaches. I believe there is a $2 fee to enter, which I am sure will increse when the beach has full amenities.

St-lambert
Level Contributor
906 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Magan or Sapphire Beach + town visit

Bonjour

I took note of all your input, but now the most I search the web, I could do two hours sightseeing tour + 2 hrs beach at Magen for like $25. It seems that I should not miss to visit the Island. ???

If I do want to go straight to the beach, where after the dock I could get a affodable taxi ride ?

Is Coqui Beach also as nice ?

Merci Beaucoup

Au Revoir

mass.
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Magan or Sapphire Beach + town visit

i haven't been tp coki beach , on this forum click on things to do. it dose list beache reviews on the bottom first page & on 2nd page,$25 is a good price for a 2 hr tour of the sites, & 2 hrs at megans bay, if you decide to go directly to the beach you will have no problem getting a taxi where you get off the gang way,the drivers do have to fill their tax's with people but is doesnt take long at all , beautiful secenery along the ride to the beach, the harbor is breath taking from up the top of the hill when going to megans bay, plenty of taxi's at megans to get back, pleanty of shopping with in the the cruise terminal, tent shopping is in center of town, you could have taxi drop you on wour way back from megans ,do your shopping take 10 min taxi ride back to the ship ,can be allot of tracifc at 4 pm so give yourself 1 hr to be back be fore you have to

St-lambert
Level Contributor
906 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Magan or Sapphire Beach + town visit

Hello

Can I walk from the center of town to the port ship ? if yes how long ?

Merci

8. Re: Magan or Sapphire Beach + town visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 21:17