We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Didn't rent a car--mistake?

Virginia
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Didn't rent a car--mistake?

My husband and I will be in STT for 5 nights staying at the Marriott in May. We decided not to rent a car based on the advice of a friend who visits STT 2x per year. But, it seems that everyone on TA is recommending a rental. Did I make a mistake? Should we rent a car afterall?

We're planning on taking the ferry to STJ and The Baths at Virgin Gorda 2 of the days and will probably take cabs for dinner 3 nights. Just not sure that the car rental and parking expenses would be worth it based on our plans. Help please!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Didn't rent a car--mistake?

It's not necessary to rent a car, especially since you'll be here just 5 days & you're staying in a big resort with lots of amenities. After you get your feet wet & your bearings, on your next trip you might want to get your own car.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Didn't rent a car--mistake?

This is a personal decision entirely. Yes, lots of people recommend renting a car. But, in my opinion, that's why there is such traffic congestion at times on St. Thomas. The island is too small to handle a zillion cars effectively. It was such a different (and even more wonderful) place a couple decades ago.

Just so you have another take on the subject...we've been going to the Virgins for more than 30 years now and have never rented a car. I like to relax on vacation and don't really want to be on the road all the time; I prefer the beach.:) We do go around the island for dinner, and taxis are not cheap, but we don't need a taxi every day. You can organize your time so you do an island tour enroute to dinner, for example. Or set aside a full day of shopping/sightseeing/lunch in town, rather than going back and forth several times.

If this is your first time, there is much to be gained by letting someone else do the driving. For example, many of the cabbies know the historic spots, have interesting stories to tell, and you might just make a lifelong friend or two -- as we have.

Virginia
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Didn't rent a car--mistake?

Thanks so much for the advice. These comments make me feel MUCH better! This is our first time and I was't sure about the left side of the road driving or the traffic. I'm glad that others agree that taxis are much easier! THANKS!!

4. Re: Didn't rent a car--mistake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 19:16