We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to St. Thomas-Just a few questions!!

Connecticut
13 posts
Save Topic
First trip to St. Thomas-Just a few questions!!

My boyfriend and I are taking our first trip ever to St. Thomas at the end of may and are looking for any good advise on parasailing, day trips to St. Johns and The Baths, and good dinning. Although we want to relax as much as possible and be beach bums we do like to hike and would love to know of the must see sightseeing spots there are on both St. Thomas and other surrounding islands.

We are also staying at the Marriott's Morningstar, so any advise on the hotel would be helpful also.

Thanks!!

Dublin, GA
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to St. Thomas-Just a few questions!!

We did a day trip on Pirate's Penny (can google) to the Baths and a day sail on the Jester to St. John. We were very pleased with both trips. I preferred the one to St. John because I'd rather be on a sailboat than a powerboat, and the trip to the Baths is quite long.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to St. Thomas-Just a few questions!!

St. John is less than 30 minutes away by ferry. It's easy to do a day trip, or even a half day trip. I have a friend who recently stayed at Frenchman's and they offered a day trip to St. John through the hotel, which included the transportation and drop off at Trunk Bay for snorkeling and time in Cruz Bay to shop. It was their first time to the Virgins, so this was a good choice for them.

It's also very easy for you to go to St. John on your own either from the ferry dock downtown or from Red Hook. Grab a taxi on St. John and do an island tour and/or get dropped at one of the beaches for the day. Trunk Bay can be crowded if there are cruise ships in port on St. Thomas, but otherwise not so bad. You could also get dropped at Caneel Bay for the day -- enjoy the beach, have a fabulous lunch buffet, and head back to Cruz Bay to check out the little shops before going back on the ferry.

For the Baths you might want to reserve a special sail or snorkel trip -- whatever you would enjoy most. If you're not especially fond of sailing, the ferry trip is great. Fast and the same pretty scenery.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to St. Thomas-Just a few questions!!

Because of the distance, boat speed, and Customs time there are not any sailboats that can do a USVI -Baths day trip --- it is really only achievable by power boat in a day.

Connecticut
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to St. Thomas-Just a few questions!!

Thanks so much for all the info!! It was nice to find out that we could book the day trip to St. John through our hotel!

I know I'm gonna be going to St. Johns a few times because it's so close...but do you thing going to the Baths is a good idea...is it worth seeing?

baltimore
Level Contributor
151 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to St. Thomas-Just a few questions!!

The baths are really worth seeing. Do a google search. You can take the ferry (only leaves on certain days and will give you more time at the Baths) to Virgin Gorda from St Thomas. There is a taxi there that will take you to the Baths and return you to the ferry, or you can take a tour will not give you as much time. I would highly recommend this trip. Stop off for Milkshakes (you can add liquor to them) at the ice cream stand on the way to Megans Bay.

CT
Level Contributor
46 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to St. Thomas-Just a few questions!!

Hi Alicia:

My husband and I (also from CT) took the Pirates Penny boat tour to the BVI's. The one that goes snorkling after lunch at Cooper Island rather than the one that goes to Jost Van Dyke. You need to specify when you book the trip.

We had a wonderful time with boat Captain Galen who is very knowledgeable about the area and the sights, and make a fun tour guide. The boat only takes around 10 - 12 people so you feel like you are on a privately charted tour. Open bar runs plentiful, and stories about the areas you go to are really intertaining. We'll definately do it again when we return.

I hope you have a great vacation in St Thomas....but make sure you take a day and go on the ferry to St John for some great beaches and snorkling. Go to Licester Bay there for a short hike and snorkle around Water Lemon Cay. Also I understand that Salt Pond Bay is great too.

7. Re: First trip to St. Thomas-Just a few questions!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 05:20