We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday market

Long Island
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday market

I've been reading this forum since our trip to STT last summer and have just read about a market on Saturdays. We will be coming back in July and would like more info. Where is this market, how big and generally what is available? Also approximate hours of the market. One funny thing I've noticed about "island time" is that it applies to everything except store hours, they close exactly as posted if not before.

Thanks for all the information you have provided.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday market

The Sat. Market is in Market Sq which is on Main St. west of the major jewelry shopping area.

Many vendors with Plants, Vegetables, Fruit, Spices, some fishermen, a few textile crafts, and some varying small tables CDs, beaded jewelry, some wood products - it is never the same and starts early - like 6am - and is pretty much over by noon - a nice slice of local culture for sure and mostly oriented towards food and plants but well worth a visit.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday market

The market square has a lot of history...it was once the largest slave trading market in the Caribbean. In recent years it was renovated and made into a lovely and interesting meeting place. If you are at all interested in history, check on other places, all in walking distance in Charlotte Amalie. In any case, get to the market early and buy some really good fruit.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday market

"Market Square" has a long history, but there are so few vendors there usually, that it's pretty disappointing, IMO. But sometimes you get lucky, and a you'll run across something very interesting. Someone was selling "chocolate fruit" the other day, and though it looked HORRIBLE, she pulled an unripe one that didn't look too bad out of a bag, and I gave her $4 for it. I Googled to find out more about it, and tried it a few days later. Not bad, but no way did it taste like chocolate.

I sometimes buy peppers there, and can you believe they had chocolate peppers one day? Again I had to google to find out what they were, and I may have used them in a tofu dish.

The bush tea herbs are usually the best thing to buy. A friend likes the "balsam and mint" blend (I think that's the one), which I think is actually basil and mint, but lemongrass is very popular.

I've seen someone selling fresh sugar cane lately. A few people are now selling cooked food, so if you've never tried whelks, you may have your chance at Market Square.

I'm never there at 6 a.m., though, but usually before noon.

And for a bit more history of Market Square, only females are allowed to sell under the bungalow.

Long Island
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday market

Thank you everyone for the replies. I was away for the weekend or I would've gotten back to you sooner.

I love all the history I'm learning on this thread. I wish I could go to the market but my plane only lands at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday so it seems I will miss it. I guess I will have to shoot for next year. What I shame I know I would have enjoyed it.

5. Re: Saturday market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2009, 05:34