We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7/11-7/15

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report 7/11-7/15

I wasn't going to take the time to make a report originally since I'm insanely busy, but since everyone here helped me so much, I figure I can help some others with a trip report. We didn't really explore as much since we were only there for a few days:

7/11 - Got to St. Thomas, went to Thrifty for the Toyota 2-wheel drive car I rented. Despite the horror stories I've heard about Thrifty's island time, I had no problem what so ever with them. They picked me up within 10 minutes of me calling, and I was in and out with a car in less than 15 minutes. Highly recommended.

Drove down to secret harbour, driving on the left side of the road was no problem. I'd highly recommend Secret Harbour to anyone, as it was completely beautiful. Grabbed dinner at Blue Moon Cafe, good, but not the best resteraunt I ate at. Passed out early since I got 2 hrs of sleep the night before.

7/12 - Went food shopping at Food Center... wow it's expensive...Headed out to the Secret Harbour beach, amazing weather! Sure, it rained here and there, but not longer than 10 minutes at a time. Snorkeling was great here. I brought my own gear (could buy it for $20 at Dicks sporting goods), highly recommended. Went to Agave Terrace for dinner, didn't really like it. Very expensive for mediocre food, and I got completely eaten alive by mosquitoes.

7/13 - Girlfriend wanted to go do some shopping in Havensight, so we went. Wasn't impressed at all, although I wasn't expecting much. If you have no interest in rum or jewelery, it's pretty pointless. Went to Coki Beach, I enjoyed it better than secret harbour. Amazing snorkeling. People complain about the vendors hassling you, but I'm from the NJ shore, and people don't know the meaning of hassle until one has been to the NJ boardwalk. Went to Cafe Amalie for dinner around 10pm food was pretty good.

Random weird experience: As we were leaving, Some random local ran up to my girlfriend and kissed her, telling me how much he liked my girl and kept trying to hug her and whatnot. Trying to keep street smart (I live in philly now...), I simply pushed him away without too much confrontation (although I had to fight some of my instincts here), I figured the best thing to do was leave the situation. My guess is it was a gypsy-style pick pocket style attempt, as he had friends sitting behind me, and he was waaaay too excited to see us from a block away. Not oblivious to this fact, I kept my hands in my pocket. If you're not used to city life, be careful if walking out late at night. Note: We weren't on some side street, we were in front of a major resteraunt.

7/14 Thought about going to St. John's, decided we dont want to spend the day driving, and would rather sit on the beach all day. For people going to secret harbour beach, bring bugspray! I had some, but still managed to get at least 50 no-see-um bites on my feet. It didn't ruin the experience at all, although slightly annoying. Saw like 4 sting rays and beautiful coral reefs!

We had to leave the next day, my visit definitely made me want to move down there. I will definitely be back again soon.

timonium, md
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/15

Thanks for taking the time to post! I appreciated it!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/15

Thanks for the report! Isn't it amazing how you can be there only a short amount of time and fall in love with the place?

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/15

Hey there, how much per day did you pay for your Toyota rental with Thrifty?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/15

For a total of 4 days, I paid near $300 (i did the insurance). I used American express and got a discount with a code. Just look online, i'm sure oyu can find discounts.

St. Thomas, USVI
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/15

Very nice of you to take the time to write a report, thanx for sharing!

6. Re: Trip Report 7/11-7/15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 05:17