We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about St. Thomas

Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
questions about St. Thomas

Hi! My husband and I are looking for a tropical vacation for this Feb. We have been to St. Thomas before on a cruise, but have never stayed there. We want a place where we feel safe to drive around and explore by ourselves, also must have great beaches and great snorkelling. How big is St. Thomas and does it offer us those two things we want? I will be going over posts on this forum to find out other information soon. Thank you for any help.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions about St. Thomas

You might want to check out the general information available right here on this TA page (to the left) before going through the forum for specifics. That will give you a good feel and an overview.

The two best beaches for snorkeling, sunning, etc. with accommodations right there are Secret Harbour and Sapphire/Crystal Cove. There are reviews of both right here and for units at Sapphire/Crystal Cove I'd suggest going to www.vrbo.com and go to "East End St Thomas" to see what's available. There certainly are condos and suchlike available elsewhere on STT but if you want to be right on an almost PERFECT beach, these would be the natural choices.

Have fun planning!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions about St. Thomas

We were at both beaches in April when we spent a week in STT. We drove all over the island and had a blast. I will say from our experience (and this is only my opinion:

Sapphire is a gorgeous beach and great snorkeling - but we felt that the property had a look of much needed repair and attention. Beach is beautiful, and the staff in the little dive shop are nice, but the bathrooms are in need of repair, the area around the pool had a lot of broken lattice work, and the buildings themselves just looked really worn from the outside (have no idea what the inside looks like)

Secret Harbour - my best friend stayed they a year ago and said the property was very nice. We spent the day there and again the beach was nice - Sapphire was better for the beach. But the condos looked to be in much better condition at this property, it has a nice restaurant, and little shops.

So from our standpoint - Sapphire is the better beach and snorkeling, and Secret Harbour is the better property for rentals.

Again - just our opinion.

Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions about St. Thomas

Hi! I am curious, did you rent a car for the whole week? How long does it take to drive around the entire island? Was it an easy enough thing to do to drive yourself and explore on yoru own? Where did you stay? Thank you for the help:)

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions about St. Thomas

I agree with Karena...Sapphire has a pretty beach, but Secret Harbour is also nice and has a great restaurant right on property.

The Ritz and the Marriott are the two nicest resorts. The Ritz is spotless, beautiful gardens, pools, amenities, good restaurants, but pricey. Two pretty beaches and the snorkeling is good right off the main hotel beach. The Marriott is nice with terrific views of the harbor and sea and pretty beach, but the snorkeling is not good. So it all depends on what you want and what you want to spend.

If you want gorgeous beaches and great snorkeling, spend a day or two on St. John.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions about St. Thomas

It is very easy to drive yourself around the island. Yes, they do drive on the left but with a miximum spped limit of about 35MPH it is not hard! The island is about 8 miles long ( I think!! ) and would not be hard to drive around. What we do is get in the car in the morning with a packed cooler and go find a remote beach somewhere. It is really fun and different everyday. There are so many great places to explore, and unless you have your own car, it would be very difficult...and expensive...to do it otherwise. Have fun;)

6. Re: questions about St. Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 05:17