We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

Hello, fellow TripAdvisors:

Three of us will be going to the Ritz Carlton St. Thomas Oct 2-6. Has anyone stayed there and if so what's it like? We got a really good deal coming from PHL for these dates. It will be my first time staying at a Ritz Carlton and I'm really excited. Also, their catamaran, Lady Lynsey, will not be operating during our stay. Do you know if the Ritz has an agreement with another catamaran that we can use for trips over to St. John?

Any info would greatly be appreaciated.

Thanks!

BeachyVee

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

The Ritz is a very nice hotel and I'm sure you'll have a great time there. There are plenty of daysail operators for trips to St John and you're also close to the Red Hook ferry terminal to easily get there (just a 10 minute ferry ride.) The concierge desk at the Ritz will have plenty of information. Have fun!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
132 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

We stayed their several years ago when they were in the midst of rennovations. We loved it and are going back this month. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

On our last visit, we didn't rent a car so we took at cab to Redhook and then rode the ferry over to St. John (as mentioned above).

Where did you hear Lady Lynsey wouldn't be operating? Do you know the dates? I was looking forward to taking another sunset sail with them so I hope they're operating while we are there. (We do have a day, snorkeling trip booked with Simplicity Charters. I've heard good things about them.)

If you have any specific questions about the Ritz, feel free to private message me! :-)

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

We've stayed at the Ritz many times. It's a beautiful property with great views from almost every room. The main pool on the hotel-side beach is the nicest infinity pool in the VI. There is good snorkeling right off the main hotel beach. The second beach in front of the Ritz condos is also nice. (Use the water shoes -- available on the beach -- as entry into the water from the beach can be rocky in spots.) Also, if you like to sail, the Hobie Cats (included in your stay) are lots of fun, as are the kayaks.

I don't know which restaurants will be open in October, but they're all good. Not cheap, however. You can get a cheaper, and excellent, breakfast next door at the Elysian's restaurant down on the beach. Robert's is also a great dinner place.

I'm sure the concierge can arrange a sail for you with some other company (a helicopter ride is fun, too, and a great bird's eye view of the islands). And, as mentioned by others, it's easy to go to Red Hook and take the ferry to St. John -- 10 minutes.

Also, if you want to do a half day (or more) shopping in town, check with the concierge to see which days their shopping shuttle runs. That way you get a free ride into town and only need to taxi back. So, if you're looking to do anything in Charlotte Amalie -- shopping, sightseeing, etc. consider this savings.

Email if you need additional info.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

Thanks to all who addressed my concerns. The Ritz Carlton St. Thomas web site and also my e-travel documents state that the Lady Lynsey will be down for inspections. See below.

"IMPORTANT NOTICE The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas "The Lady Lynsey" will be undergoing annual inspections and therefore unavailable September 8, 2009 - October 9, 2009. *Dates are subject to change without notice."

Hopefull by some stroke of luck she will be up and running but I won't count on it for our trip. Hopefully she will be up and running for your trip.

Thanks again all who responded.

Beachy Vee

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

Does the Ritz still have on their pool menu the infamous baby back ribs with guava bbq sauce?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
132 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

Beachy-

I checked with the Ritz and yes, Lady Linsey wll be out of operation when we are there as well. Don't know how I never saw this. :-( This is part of the reply I got from them: "Unfortunately the Lady Lynsey will be out of the water for its yearly maintenance. We have a substitute which is the Day Dreamer that leaves from the Wyndham Sugar Bay, which is 10 minutes from the hotel." Seems to me that means a cab ride which is certainly less convenient. Oh well, these things happen! I've learned the best way to enjoy a vacation is to "go with the flow"! ;-) But thanks for the heads up!

Hope you have as great a time as we did (and expect to have again)!

Pattie

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

Pattie:

I agree, we'll just go with the flow also. What the heck, we'll be at the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas. What could be so bad?

Beachy Vee

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

Daydreamer does a great job and is a very comfortable boat - you can be assured if the Ritz has arranged for them to take Ritz guests they are doing it right.

9. Re: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 06:17