We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to St. Thomas in January 2010

Maryland
7 posts
Save Topic
Going to St. Thomas in January 2010

Hi,

I'm going to St.thomas next month. The wife & I like to find local people/taxis to take us around to various sites, etc. I guess we're looking for a tour, but not a tour. I've heard there are various spots to go to.....(ie. Megens Bay, Shopping, etc) I don't know yet. But we want to find someone who can take care of us pretty good.

My wife keeps saying that a lot of the people in the islands tend to be grumpy, but I'm not trying to hear that. We're going! But I wanna ensure we can make this trip again.......Can anyone help me out?!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to St. Thomas in January 2010

What type of things are you interested in doing? Should I assume you do not want to rent a car?

We just got back yesterday - so my brain is full of information to share!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to St. Thomas in January 2010

If you want to make the most of a vacation -- anywhere, including the islands -- always be considerate of the local customs and culture. 1) Say "good morning/good afternoon" before making a request or filing a complaint. This simple gesture acknowledging local customs will go a long way. 2) Remember that you are not at home and don't expect everything to happen as quickly or in the same way it does at home...for me, one of the best things about travel is making that effort to assimilate into the local rhythm of life. 3) Meet people/make friends. Ask local taxi drivers, shop keepers, hotel staff about their favorite places, what they do for fun, what their lives are like living on an island. People like to talk about themselves and, if you're genuinely interested, you'll be greatly rewarded.

I've been going to these islands for more than thirty years now and met a lot of wonderful people. If I lived there and had to deal with some of the tourists I've run into, however, I'd be pretty grumpy, too. A little understanding, good humor, and a kind word can make a big difference.

Give Clover Fleming a call: 340-690-0621 . She's been taking our family around for years and we always look forward to seeing her on our returns to the island. She's dependable, always on time, and great fun to see the sights with.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
295 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to St. Thomas in January 2010

Awaiting a trip report LivandMarc!! :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to St. Thomas in January 2010

I just returned from St. Thomas on Saturday and had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Elysian Resort on the East End and there was a taxi there operated by Claudia Mark, a wonderful woman who was a delight to ride with. If you are staying on that end, give her a call at 340-227-3050. I would recommend her highly to anyone.

5. Re: Going to St. Thomas in January 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 05:17