We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does is Rain in the VI? Is there cloud-cover? Yes & Yes

Kansas
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Does is Rain in the VI? Is there cloud-cover? Yes & Yes

No, I'm not trying to RAIN on anyone's parade but it was nice to see in my thorough research prior to traveling to the VI that some people had a bad experience in regards having it rain all day while they were there.

This doesn't make any trip any fun for anyone, especially if you are setting yourself up with high-expectations.

Now, there were sunny days, enjoyable days, but quite a few rainy days and maybe not all day, but enough showers throughout our 10 day stay in the VI's to ruin a lot of plans or hopes for fun in the sun.

I'm sharing this so that anyone going to the VI's in hopes of PERFECTION/PARADISE needs to know and have in the back of their mind that it rains, even in paradise. That a sunset cruise may not even include a sunset (like ours) and that travels to scenic, picturesque places up in the hills/mountains may be clouded over and a horizon unavailable.

Knowing this, you should then take FULL advantage of the sunny days and not be caught up in your hotel room. Our trip was great, but too high of expectations of a "perfect" trip can take away from what can be at most a great trip. Enjoy!!!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Does is Rain in the VI? Is there cloud-cover? Yes & Yes

I think most people realize it may rain anywhere in the Caribbean although winter is usually not very rainy but then, weather has been screwy everywhere lately.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does is Rain in the VI? Is there cloud-cover? Yes & Yes

I think that can be said of almost any vacation, almost anywhere. Its a good idea to have 'backup' plans if your ideal perfect sunny day does not materialize. Having said that....a rainy day in St John is better than a sunny day in a lot of places!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does is Rain in the VI? Is there cloud-cover? Yes & Yes

I read this post and your 'island time post and do hope you were able to enjoy the VI vacation -- despite what seems like "expectations" -- plans made and circumstances changed.

I often read on these forums of plans to do this or that activity on a certain day that are made months before the trip and how that seems to cause such disappointment when it doesn't work out exactly - part of the 'island time' behavior is really the proper response to those changes -- life here is a bit more unpredictable - less dependent on 'must happen' timing and more of a - take things as they are - philosophy.

No one wants it to rain during a vacation - but if it is raining we try and find another activity that works - a book, a nap with your sweetheart, shopping!!, a leisurely lunch with wine, just something that fits the time and conditions. The freedom to do that is really the essence of vacation to me - not meeting a schedule of planned events that may not happen for some reason and being disappointed about it.

Hopefully you will come back to the VI and do some more of the things available and thank you for your thoughts.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does is Rain in the VI? Is there cloud-cover? Yes & Yes

I'm sorry, but I guess I just don't have much patience with people who complain about rain in the tropics. The Virgin Islands are, in great part, a paradise BECAUSE of the rain!! For goodness sakes, if you want a vacation without rain, head to a place where is does NOT rain. Certainly don't go to a destination where the great beauty -- the green mountains, the gorgeous blooms, etc. depend on the rain. And, of course, the people depend on the rain. There are no rivers or lakes in the Virgins. And salt water is not all that palatable. :)

I love the tropics, rain or shine, and never get bored. If it rains, I sit on the porch with a good book, or duck in and out of the shops and galleries, or take a walk in the rain. Trust me, you won't get any wetter in a good tropical downpour than you would diving in the blue, blue sea.

Bottom line: No matter where you go, what you plan, what you expect...a great vacation begins with the attitude you take with you.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does is Rain in the VI? Is there cloud-cover? Yes & Yes

As it has been everywhere else, the weather here has been very odd this year and that bout of gloomy, drizzly weather we had for over a week (which had to be the week during which the OP was here, unfortunately!) was highly unusual. It was also COLD with temps going down to the mid 60s some nights on the North side. I had goosebumps here on the East end at 68 degrees a couple of early mornings!

I completely understand the OP's bit of frustration and the many friends I have who work in the hotels got earfuls from some particularly disenchanted guests who couldn't be placated at all. As localsailor pointed out, although a rigidly planned day-by-day schedule CAN and often does work out, it's really best to not over plan. That bout of weather was highly unusual!

6. Re: Does is Rain in the VI? Is there cloud-cover? Yes & Yes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 05:19