We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

I have read many comments about the mosquitoes in St. Thomas. How bad are they? We have been to St. Martin and Aruba and got an occasional bite, but St. Thomas posts are saying to head indoors at 4:00 pm. Are the mosquitoes in St. Thomas any worse than other islands in the Caribbean? We were considering going there in June or July and now my husband says he's not going on vacation to get all bitten up so is looking at other locations. Help, we need advice.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

There are mosquitoes on every island in the Caribbean. They're worse after a siege of rain but what gets you after 4:00 PM are noseeums & those too are everywhere on every island in the Caribbean.

Northof Boston
Level Contributor
537 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Went to STT for 10 days in Jan/Feb- was outside from probably 9am-11pm every single day and came home with not one bite. A few times I applied bug spray as a precaution, but not regularly.

You'll be FINE- don't sweat the small stuff ;).

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Since St Thomas has NO fresh water source other than rain, has no lakes,rivers or reservoirs and is very dry for the most part, it is only after heavy rains that mosquitoes become really apparent and bothersome. Even that takes a few days for them to hatch. It is mostly near standing water like old tires or potted plants or other wet damp environs.

Many other Caribbean Islands have plenty of fresh water and many mosquito breeding grounds that occur naturally and have a year round daily population and a much worse problem.

NC
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

We just came back from St Thomas and there are some bugs there just like anywhere. We used the small bug repellent wipes and had no problems

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

We've never had a problem with mosquitoes. However, in December I got over 40 bites from sand fleas - from one evening walk on the beach. I used Off every day after that and didn't gain another bite. (I counted daily as the itching was unbearable!)

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

If you happen to come here after we've had some really heavy rainfall then be prepared. During dry spells those little mosquito larvae nestle in the bush just waiting for a big dousing which springs them to life and then they come out with a vengeance. The "normal" little suckers turn into miniature helicopters and get so fat and bloated on sucking that they can't even get off your skin before you squish them into a bloody mess. Not pleasant at all.

ALWAYS arm yourself, whatever time of the year you come here, with good repellant or buy it when you're here and use it as often as you use sunscreen.

7. Re: Mosquitoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 09:15