We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secret Harbor/Ritz/Gallows point for family...need help!

Uncasville...
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Secret Harbor/Ritz/Gallows point for family...need help!

Hello Family Travelers,

I really don't know where to stay with my family this summer. I've researched the following places; Secret Harbor, Beach Resort, The Ritz St. Thomas and Gallows Point on St. John.

Basically we love to snorkel and would love to do some from the property where we stay. We also like a place which other children are around. We also like nice/clean upscale accommodations and access to eating casually either on site, in our room or a club level floor.

So, have any families stayed at any of these places and can recommend. one? Or do you have another property to suggest?

We would really appreciate your advice!!!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secret Harbor/Ritz/Gallows point for family...need help!

The Ritz is very nice and very expensive, has restaurants, but not great snorkeling.

Gallows Point in STJ is nice but really doen't have much of a beach.

Secret Harbor has a good restaurant (bar), and has very good snorkeling.

Other places to look might include any of the resorts on Sapphire beach, Crystal Cove, Sapphire Village, and Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Secret Harbor/Ritz/Gallows point for family...need help!

I believe the Ritz has a kids' club & every time I've been there I've seen several children there who appeared to be guests. You might want to check directly with the Ritz about the kids' club.

bev
maryland
Level Contributor
189 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secret Harbor/Ritz/Gallows point for family...need help!

Gallows Point does have a small beach, but has great snorkeling and a dock to bypass the rocks.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
820 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secret Harbor/Ritz/Gallows point for family...need help!

Have you considered renting a condo from a private owner? Sites like VRBO.com and HomeAway.com have lots to choose from on St. Thomas. Many of the things you are looking for in a place are available at the condo complexes at Secret Harbor and Cowpet Bay.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secret Harbor/Ritz/Gallows point for family...need help!

Tough call.

Secret Harbor, intimate, friendly, small, good beach, respectable restaurant, better snorkeling. Usually a fair number of kids on the beach.

Ritz - elite, reserved, upscale, amazing food, insane prices, fair beach, I doubt good snorkeling.. It's the Ritz and they do everything well.

Gallows, rent a car for great snorkeling but I have not been on the property in 30 years so I can't offer an opinion other then knowing it's very well respected.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secret Harbor/Ritz/Gallows point for family...need help!

If you want "upscale," as mentioned, it's the Ritz. The others don't compare. Excellent service, food, beach activities (kayaks, hobie cats, snorkel equipment, etc.), pretty views, great environment for kids. If you go club level, you won't have to go out and eat at all -- food is served four times a day (appetizers at dinner; no full meal...but enough for most folks). I love the restaurants on St. Thomas, but the club level accomodations are certainly excellent at the Ritz and so convenient. Bottom line: you get what you pay for and you don't have to worry about whether or not you're getting a good room or a dud (this can be a problem at some properties as all are not created equal). You can't go wrong at the Ritz.

Snorkeling: We liked the snorkeling at the Ritz beaches better than Secret Harbour, although SH is good. Also, great sailing if you like the Hobie cats at Great Bay at the Ritz. We've stayed there many times, as well as a number of other places on STT. This is the best.

The best snorkeling, however, is on St. John. The North Shore beaches are not to be missed. From the Ritz, you're five minutes to the ferry to St. John -- go for the day and check out Trunk Bay, Hawksnest, Cinnamon Bay, Haulover...lots to choose from. (Gallows Point has some good snorkeling, but no beach!) There are better places.

7. Re: Secret Harbor/Ritz/Gallows point for family...need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 06:23