We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Fares, way too high!

Greenwood, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Fares, way too high!

My husband and I have been going to St. Thomas for years. We always complain to one another how ridiculous the taxi fares are on the island. In anyother place, you pay "X" amount of dollars to go from one point to another. In St.Thomas, while the rates are regulated, supposedly, they charge you per person. So, if you want to go from say Frenchman's Cove to a restaurant just down the hill in Yacht Haven, you have to pay $6.00 per person down and the same back. If you have a family of 5, that's $30 each direction. That is definitely detrimental for the local restaurants because family's will not spend that kind of money, in general, just to go have lunch or dinner. A different system for fares needs to be addressed to make St. Thomas more appealing for families.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,272 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Fares, way too high!

Which is why we recommend renting a car particularly for a family.

Greenwood, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Fares, way too high!

That is fine IF someone wants to drive there. we don't rent because we aren't comfortable with driving conditions in St. Thomas. Not being savvy as to how to get around, road construction, driving on the opposite side of the road, how fast everyone drives down there are reasons not to rent. This is not just my personal observation but those of friends of ours that also own at frenchman's Cove. I know you are a resident of STT and if I was, I would then be used to driving there. Just think others visiting should be prepared for high taxi costs and not be surprised upon arrival.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Fares, way too high!

This is one of the reasons why many people visiting St. Thomas or St. John choose to rent a car. If you are travelling in a group of any size, It doesn't take very many taxi rides for it to be cheaper to rent a car.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,272 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Fares, way too high!

Visitors who do their research usually know beforehand that relying on taxis to get around the islands is expensive as transportation ranks high on the list of the most frequently asked questions on both this and other travel forums. If I've posted a link to the taxi rates I've posted it hundreds of times, as have other contributors.

Obviously there are some people who prefer not to drive here but thousands of visitors every year do so with ease and quickly adapt to driving on the left - and enjoy the freedom which driving one's self offers. The maximum speed limit is 35MPH and most of one's driving is in the 20-30MPH range which is hardly "fast"! I was out and about for several hours today and the fastest speed I got up to was 35 on Weymouth Rhymer Highway which felt fast to me. Goodness' knows how I'd re-adapt to driving on a stateside turnpike - white knuckles for sure just for a start!

Each to his own and "island time" has actually been an advantage where the taxi rates are concerned as I can't even remember when the rates were last raised. They've stayed the same for several years now despite the increases in oil prices. Cheers!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Fares, way too high!

First, I agree that the cost of taxis really is a burden to families. Second, I know from talking with the taxi drivers that they are confronted with expenses that I and most tourists know nothing about. I may be wrong, but I don't think any taxi drivers live on Skyline Drive.

I can tell you how we worked around this issue some years ago when I was representing owners at Sapphire.

We arranged with a husband and wife taxi driving team to set up a daily service that people signed up for in the lobby. They came in the morning and made two runs one into Red Hook and beyond to The Ritz area, and one to Coki, Magens, and Tutu Plaza where they gave you a half hour to shop and then brought you back to Sapphire.

They had similar restaurant runs in the evening and the cost was $2/person. It was very successful for a time, but increasingly people were renting cars so it fell by the wayside.

There is a shuttle service free of charge now provided by Antilles at Sapphire for guests that register through Antilles.

I would think a complex as large as the Cove could have their owners group arrange a similar service. If it is heavily used then it is a win win situation

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Fares, way too high!

As a visitor of STT I only choose to rent a car. Yes, taxi fee's are very high but have you ever thought as to why that may be? Look at the hills for example. Those steep inclines are very hard on brakes and transmissions. Lots of locals...including taxi drivers....need to replace their brakes VERY often. That cost money, so they add that into their fee's.

I will admitt that our first time renting a car we were a bit nervous as to how we were going to be able to drive there. However, after the first day we were really comfortable. Yes they drive on the left, but like STTResident says, the maximum speed limit on the island is 35MPH so no one is going real fast. Add in the hills and traffic, and we usually only go about 25MPH!

There is also the option of the dollar bus, but I have never used it so I can't tell you that much about it. It is certainly cheaper than taxi's if you do not want to rent:)

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Fares, way too high!

I can commiserate with you on not wanting to rent a car on St Thomas.

We are used to driving on the left from our visits to St Croix, that is not the problem with St Thomas, it's the insane drivers, poor road conditions and lack of signs.

Driving will make you crazy on St Thomas, it was way too stressful to deal with the rude and unsafe drivers on the road, so our rental car stayed parked after 3 trips around the island.

Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Fares, way too high!

U know what pissed me off--- is when we took a taxi (4 of us) to the shops and they were closed !!! The jerk didn't even bother to tell us. Just dropped us off and took our money. So needless to say-- 60$ roundtrip to our hotel!!

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Fares, way too high!

Never had any of the problems we experienced in St Thomas when we were in St Croix. We were almost shot by a driver who pulled out in front of us, going the wrong way on the one way street we were on. After his little "gun show", we backed up and reversed all the way back down the street.

St Croix is our virgin island of choice!

Edited: 15 July 2010, 15:22
Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Fares, way too high!

I totally agree that the taxi fares are ridiculous. No one wants to spend $60 just on transportation to a $100 dinner. My husband will drive on St John but not on St Thomas, so we will rent a car if we rent a villa on St John. The combination of drivers, road conditions, lack of signs and roads themselves are something we're not willing to deal with in St Thomas. And considering that my husband is a firefighter and used to dirivng a firetruck and I used to be a paramedic and drove ambulance should say something! We're both experienced emergency vehicle drivers and still aren't willing to drive in St Thomas.