We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jelly fish and rainy weather update

Uncasville...
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
jelly fish and rainy weather update

Just wondering if there are any jelly fish in the water off the beaches of St. Thomas. Stings can be painful and I want to be prepared for them, if I have to. Going in two weeks.

Also, I've noticed that St. Thomas has had a lot of rain lately. Is the rain off and on? Or is it raining all day there?

Are there more bugs out due to the weather?

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jelly fish and rainy weather update

As the water temperature gets warmer all summer - the possibility of a jellyfish bloom becomes more likely. The common purple moon jellyfish is the most likely to be encountered and it is not known for stinging but certainly can.

Wearing a long sleeve shirt or rash guard is not a bad plan if they are present in the water while swimming.

How do you plan to 'be prepared for them?"

For rain info I suggest www.weathercarib.com a local site.

Uncasville...
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jelly fish and rainy weather update

Thanks for the info. about the jelly fish. .

I was just stung by jelly fish in the northeast. It was extremely painful and the lifeguard applied vinegar which did reduce some pain but not a lot. I would hate for my child to feel that pain so I do have to be somewhat prepared for them, it seems in St. Thomas.

I'll pack some long sleeve swim tops, as you suggested, for us to swim in, if they are present. Also, I will check to see if some kind of ointment is available to bring down there. I hear prices are outrageous in STT and who wants to shop for ointment while on vacation!

I'll check out the weather site. which may give me more details then weather.com. Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
805 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jelly fish and rainy weather update

Are you aware of "skins"? These are long-sleeved, long-legged lycra garments that you can wear over your bathing suit while in the water. They give lots of protection against stings (particularly if you take care to zip it all the way up). They are also good against sunburn.

divers-supply.com/Sea-Elite-Sport-Lycra-Skin…

First thing you can do for a sting is rinse the area with fresh water. Something you might consider taking along is the homeopathic remedy Medusa. You can find the pellets on line.

http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Medu

These are taken after a sting. They do zero as a prophylactic.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jelly fish and rainy weather update

Rinsing with fresh water is NOT what you should do! It activates the nematocysts remaining on your skin to an even greater degree.

Rub the sting with sand or scrape it with a stiff object like a credit card to remove as many stinging cells as possible -- applying vinegar or an ammonia solution will stop the stinging.

Some people are allergic and carry an epi-pen as a precaution.

Edited: 18 July 2010, 20:38
Uncasville...
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jelly fish and rainy weather update

Thanks for the lycra long sleeve shirt tip. i just bought two of them on line today. I think wearing them will be a precaution not only against jelly fish but against the sun when snorkeling.

Since my child has never been stung before, I'll check into the epi pen. I do not know if she'll have an allergic reaction. Better safe than sorry.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
805 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jelly fish and rainy weather update

thank you for your reply, local. Interesting (emphasis on the sting) that fresh water was recommended not that long ago. I found that currently hot water is recommended -- 122 degrees F, although this is difficult to gauge under the best of circumstances. Who knows, this may be debunked soon, too.

Interestingly, I did find this about vinegar:

"Plain white distilled vinegar (acetic acid) like you would find in your kitchen has long been the standard first aid treatment for jellyfish stings. Its use has become controversial in the last few years and several studies leave us questioning whether vinegar really works. Vinegar is still recommended for use on box jellyfish stings, so if it's available, I'd give it a try. "

Ammonia has similarly been debunked. (So has boric acid and pee.)

Soooooooo, I don't know. I honestly would not rub the area with sand, or scrape it. But that's just me. It sounds as if that would hurt and break the stingers making them harder to remove.

I only got whipped by a jelly once or twice, and it was minor, though stingy. Haven't gotten a single sting since wearing my skin each time. It's tempting to forget the skin in the late afternoon as the sun's going down, and the water's warm, but it's better not to if there's any chance of jellies.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
291 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jelly fish and rainy weather update

You have me intrigued by the Epi-pen comment. My husband has only been stung by the little (almost invisible) jelly fish and had a hive-like reaction to them. The vinegar helped with that. If he were to get stung by a bigger jelly fish, should we be carrying an Epi pen? It looks like a prescription is need to get it when I do a google search.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jelly fish and rainy weather update

Sorry - but I've yet to visit STT - we will be arriving in 2 weeks.

Are SeaLice a problem in this area? Just wondering if I should bring my SafeSea lotion as we do when visiting parts of Mexico?

Many Thanks!

9. Re: jelly fish and rainy weather update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 07:20