We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

Napa, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

Yes, I’m only here for a week since this was basically a quickie trip planned for me. I had no idea that I would love it so much. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the VI and even the BVI. It’s a beautiful place and it went way too fast. I honestly did not have enough time here and I now understand the people that come here on a regular basis.

As for my last day here….my new friends invited me to go downtown and see the shops, explore a little more of St Thomas, etc. Normally I would be right there leading the way but… I declined. I just wanted one day to really be on “island time” and enjoy the all-day sunshine we got today. My plan was to take as many photos as possible. I walked up and down the cove and got some great shots (long exposures) of the turquoise and blue water. It was everything I dreamed it would be. I also hung out in a hammock and enjoyed the view. I basically did what a lot of people come here to do – Relax. Granted, I did not see everything there was to see nor did I do half of the things on my list but I am relaxed. I took over 2000 photos. I’m happy and content. Tomorrow I’m flying home and I will honestly say I will miss this place called Paradise.

Oh and those one way ferry tickets from Tortola back to St Thomas that we did not use were given to the housekeeper who was the nicest person I met here. Every day I saw here I told her she did not have to clean my condo because I’m pretty low maintenance and I kept telling her that I didn’t need anything. The first time she came by was during the crazy storm on Tuesday. I told her she should go home and be safe from the floods in the streets. She was sincere in her appreciation for that. I know this is her job but she worked her butt off in the other condo’s that were flooded and in all honesty, I can make my own bed, don’t mind using the same towels, and had everything I needed. She said a prayer for me and said that she hopes I come back and enjoyed my time here. It was a great send-off for me and I wish her the best of luck. I’m also going to leave her a nice tip because I know she deserves it and probably does not get it often enough.

I wish I could find the “local” (she’s originally from Ireland but moved here 35 years ago and is a teacher at a school on St Thomas) that gave me a ride from the Marina Market on that stormy day. I would love to send her a nice bottle of Cab from Napa. She has no idea how much I appreciated her giving me a ride when I thought that I would never get a taxi to take me back. The people here are really wonderful!

Thanks to all the posters/bloggers – your advice has helped me plan a perfect holiday (albeit short)! I promise to post photos soon….. I also hope that my incredibly long trip report helps someone with their plans to come out. As the little sign outside my condo states: In Paradise, Life is good…..

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

WW...your trip reports have been so much fun to read! It is always great to experience STT through the eyes of a "newbie." I am so glad you enjoyed your vacation. STT is where our hearts are at...we used to be WW's as well, but the last few years we have just kept going back to STT. There is something about that island and the locals that has captured our hearts and souls! Have a safe trip home:))

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
800 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

Hey, WW & d,

We used to travel to different islands, too, but we kept returning to STT and finally it's hard to think of going somewhere else (time being limited -- then again, there's never enough time in STT; meaning we don't want to leave -- except to reunite with the kitties at home.)

I'm looking forward to the pics, WW.

Have a great day, everyone.

lb

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
810 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

What a great trip report. I think I speak for many on this forum when I say that I wish your report was posted a week or so earlier so we could have all referred Travelgirl500 to your report to ease her irrational fears of a crime ridden trip to St. Thomas in which she intended to stay in her hotel the entire week and never return! I fear that your report so accurately captures the beauty and vibe of St. Thomas and St. John that everyone will want to go there, and those of us who have found paradise will be overrun!

St. Thomas
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

World Wanderer: Contact VI Montessori for your teacher! ;-)

http://www.vimsia.org/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
800 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

BruSue, WW posted to TravelGirl500 on this forum, like many of us did, to allay her fears.

We haven't heard back from TravelGirl500 for about a week. Am I alone in wondering whether this lady actually does travel, or just wishes to?

LB

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,367 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

Since you're collecting NPS passports, next time you may want to visit St Croix, USVI. Here's a link to their NPS properties:

www.stcroixtourism.com/national_parks.htm

Thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful time! It's really a compliment when someone from San Francisco says the VI is beautiful, because San Francisco is such a beautiful city.

Looking forward to seeing all 2000 of those photos! Hope you'll come to the US Virgin Islands again soon.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

A great running day by day experience of island vacation time - there is a lot to see here and try to get back and do it again ASAP.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'm glad that you enjoyed my trip reports. I enjoyed writing them as much as you did reading them. Since I had to go back to my day-job, I just got done posting my review on Secret Harbour. However, it's still being "reviewed". Thanks eastendervi for the info on the schools. I think that I can find my school teacher through that website.

I've been slowly going through my photos but will post some as soon as I can.

As for travelgirl - I'm not sure what her motive is/was but she really needs to get out more. I'm not confident that she has really gone to all the places she stated she has or she wouldn't have been so paranoid. There are a lot more scarier places out there. I did not feel threatened or worried the whole time I was on St Thomas.

I miss the islands already but I'm getting ready for my next jaunt to Olympic National Park and Mt Rainier. I was lucky in that my job sent me all over the world. Now it's time that I explore my own backyard!

Cheers to all of you wonderful people! Once again, thanks for your advice, tips, and help! I could not have done it without you! Oh... and yes, I do plan to go back!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

World Wanderer, Glad you enjoyed your trip...I was absolutely hooked the first time I set foot on the island, and devastated when it was time to go back home!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 6 First Timer, Solo Female in the VI

Glad you had a great time. It's rewarding to hear travelers' tales that are so positive. Making an effort to understand local customs, appreciating the work of others, and being flexible enough to allow the maid to have some extra time to attend to her own concerns is admirable on your part. It's too bad more tourists are not like you.