We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

Hi everyone,

We will be stopping for one day on a cruise, and would like some feedback as to which beach would be our best choice for some snorkeling (me) and sun worshipping (him). I'm looking for a beach that is not heavily populated. While a local restaurant nearby would be great, I would consider a shop at a market on the way if there's no place for food near the beach. After much research I've come up with the following options.

Any feedback? The most important criteria are decent snorkeling and not heavily populated.

1. Brewer’s Bay

2. Hull Bay

3. Lindquist Beach/Smith Bay Park - my concern is getting a taxi back

4. Cowpet Bay

5. Lindbergh Bay/Emerald Beach

6. Sapphire Beach

Thanks in advance.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

Brewers next to no snorkeling ops and no concessions.

Hull Bay - Northside local spot, good onsite restaurant, more recommended for someone visiting for more than one day, getting a taxi back to the ship MIGHT be a problem. Homer runs a great dive and snorkeling op from there.

Lindqvist/Smith Bay Park. Gorgeous, not great snorkeling. Taxi not a problem - arrange with the driver who drops you off there. Bring your own lunch and drinks - no vendors as yet.

Cowpet - very minimal, but pretty much next to none snorkeling. Two good eating spots on site - Robert's and Ainsley's.

Lindbergh/Emerald Beach - good facilities, nice beach, close to airport, no snorkeling.

Sapphire - my personal preference.

Cheers!

maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

If you could take the ferry to st john I'd say water lemon cay has the best snorkeling around.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

Thanks everyone, it looks like it will be Sapphire.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
831 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

Secret Harbour was not on your list but it meets all of your criteria and IMHO is a better choice than Sapphire.Beautiful beach, very good snorkeling and a very good onsite restaurant. Sapphire is beautiful and has very good snorkeling but the food facilities consist of a hamburger/hotdog stand and the public restroom facilities are unusable. We were there on Tuesday and were stunned by the poor facilities and how crowded the beach was with 3 cruise ships in port. Secret Harbour would be my choice!

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

Sue, thanks for your input...we'll probably end up at either Sapphire or Secret Harbour.

Just curious - does anyone here have a similar recommendation for St. Maarten/St. Martin?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

Just a quick caveat about Secret Harbour. The management now prohibits the use of beach chairs by anyone other than resort guests, not even for a price. Sapphire does get crowded on busy cruise ship days, especially since Coki is temporarily closed while renovations take place and on such busy days the bathrooms do of course get over-used. The food facilities also include beach runners from the restaurant up on the hill who take orders and deliver them.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

I'd vote for Emerald Beach, you can eat at the restaurant or beach bar, the beach is beautiful, and my inlaws who swear the main reason they've been going to Caneel for the last 30+ years is for the wonderful snorkeling say that the snorkeling there is "almost as good". My son and dad also enjoyed snorkeling there as well, and my husband said it was good too. I dont enjoy snorkeling so I cant really tell you first hand.

8. Re: Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2012, 15:59
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

Can anyone commenton whether any of the beaches discussed have snorkle gear rental available?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
831 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rcommendation for a beach with good snorkeling?

Secret Harbour and Sapphire have snorkel gear for rent or purchase.

Get answers to your questions about St. Thomas
Recent Conversations