We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

We've done the math and realize that taxi's would cost us a fair bit .We can live with that , but generally we like the convenience of a car when travelling. Let me give you all part of our plans(we'll be at Frenchmans cove for 7 nights, then the Ritz for 2 nights)....off property dinners while at the Marriott will likely include Oceana, Herve, Room with a View.......we'll likely go to Magens Bay, and St John(once each) and to Gourmet Gallery twice, and of course we'll have to transfer from the airport, to the Ritz and back to the airport.(while at the Ritz we'll likely just dine onsite although we may try East End Cafe). We wont likely do anything else except perhaps go into town once for shopping but knowing us once we're in the vacation mode we tend to stick to the beaches etc at our own property, and we could end up skipping Magens Bay, and St John and simply stay put(we have been to both once before )....so would you rent a car? taxi? what about all the posts that say dont go into Charlotte Amalie at night and 2 of our dinners would be there....taxi those nights even if we do rent a car? Forgetting the cost part of the equation, what would be more convenient for us?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

Your best bet might be to make arrangements with one cab to ferry you around as needed. You can call them on their cell and they will drive you and pick you up. This gives you flexibility and dependability.

You can do a search on this site or maybe someone can give you some contacts.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

Interesting idea....and one that never crossed my mind. Is this like so other places where we've been that you actually hire the driver and car for a week or is it simply normal taxi service based on the same rates and system as the normal taxis? In other words do we still share rides this way? Would the driver be able to take us to St Johns if we wished to go(by ferry of course :) ?Any drivers in particular that you'd suggest?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

The people that I know that have done this have made individual arrangements with a specific taxi driver. He will not necessarily be exclusive to you, but if you tell them your plans and where you want to go, and when to come back, they will be there. The fee may be the regular taxi rate or it might be negotiated. I don't think it will be cheaper, but it is more convenient.

I don't think they would take you to St. John, but they may be able to help you arrange for a driver in St. John.

I usually rent a car so I don't have any names for you, but I think some of the old posts may have a few names, or perhaps someone who has done this can supply the contact name.

Edited: 27 September 2010, 14:08
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

To get an idea of the private taxi rate you might call Rachel at 340-771-2986. She's a sweetheart and highly reliable. If you decide to go this route and she's not available, she'll recommend you to someone else. Have fun!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

I like the private taxi idea....dh still wants " the freedom" of a car....lol...I told him when we arrive anywhere he can drop me off while he gets "the freedom" of looking for parking. So how difficult is finding parking at beaches, restaurants etc?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

Parking is easy pretty much everywhere except in town Monday-Friday! I agree with your DH about the car and don't think you can beat that freedom and convenience.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

Thanks all....appreciate the advice :)

8. Re: Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 12:36
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

Unless alcohol consumption is a factor -- rent a car for the timing and convenience.

10. Re: Cost not a factor-Rent Car or Taxi's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 12:36