We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

Would like to take a day trip to St. Croix from St. Thomas on Nov. 11 or 12. What are the various types of transport, daily schedule and cost? Thanks.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,235 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

www.seaborneairlines.com

www.flycapeair.com

The on again off again STT/STX ferry, known locally as the Vomit Comet or the Barf Barge is, like all its predecessors, having problems so best not to contemplate that route. There may be other options re flights but the two I linked are probably the best bets.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

I can see how the ferry might not be the best choice for a day trip, but we are planning on taking the ferry from STX to STT as part of a multi-week USVI trip.

While I have heard the term "vomit comet" before (it is open ocean after all), I had not heard that the ferry is unreliable. Do you mean to say on the day we need it it just might not be running?

Has anyone else had direct experience with the ferry not running as scheduled?

Thanks,

dragon

PS: I see there are two different ferries - SeaTrans and Island Lynx. Are you only talking about one of them or both?

Edited: 24 October 2010, 20:45
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

Another thought - if we try for the morning ferry and find it is down and out, what would our success be like just going to the airport and getting the first flight? Would we generally have availability? Would the price be the same as pre-booking?

Thanks!

-dragon

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,235 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

VI SeaTrans is the only ferry between STT and STX and you should call to make sure they're running as, if they have any kind of a mechanical problem, they don't have a backup vessel. They're also having financial issues so check before you go down to the docking area. You shouldn't have any problem getting a flight to STX but I can't tell you whether or not there would be any difference in the fare - you'd have to check with the lines servicing that route.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

To be fair -- the ferry is unreliable, very much so.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

Very helpful conversation. Thanks. Sorry to learn about the ferry's unreliablity. I really don't want to take one of those sea planes.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,235 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

Just curious why you don't want to go on the seaplane - it's a great ride and the most popular!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

Now I know what a sea plane is - the vessel that skims the water, right? Should be fun, then. I had envisioned it being a very small aircraft...which I don't like.

Water Island, St...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

Seaborne Airlines uses planes that land and takeoff in the harbor, and wheeled aircraft that fly from airport to airport. You choose the type of plane you feel comfortable flying in. Seaborne has planes a little larger than the nine passenger Cape Air flights.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
892 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from St. Thomas to St. Croix?

I've done all three modes of transportaion between STX and STT. The Seaplane is the most spectacular. When aproaching CA you swing around WaterIsland, skim over the masts of sailboats just before you touch down in the harbor. When taking off from STT, I had to ask myself, "Are we going to clear that cruise ship?" The STX end is pretty straight forward, no drama.

We did the ferry once. Only one or two people got sick. I'm usually the one with the weakest stomach but I was ok. A little queezy but I made it.

I now stick with Cape Air because they give me the greatest flexablity. I can leave early in the morning and fly back in the evening if I want to make one long day trip. Seaborn flys only during daylight hours.

Edited: 27 October 2010, 14:41