We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a hotel/resort for short stay

nj
Level Contributor
37 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a hotel/resort for short stay

My friend and I are looking for the impossible. We will be spending 4 days in STT in early Dec. and would like a reasonable place (one that won't break the bank for that is safe and clean) with it's own natural beach where she would like to snorkel while I sun bathe and nap. A hotel with it's own eatery or with one very close would be ideal. We are not shoppers and will probably check out some local shops in Charlotte Amalie on our way to the airport to come home. It's been 30 years since I was in STT and I can't remember much about the topography of the island except that if you stay on the side of the island opposite CA,.... it's a really long ride to the airport. I'm willing to be bet the road have not gotten any wider of less steep so I will not be renting a car for the short time we will be there. Any help/advice/info you can give will be greatly appreciated as time is growing short. Thanks

1. Re: Looking for a hotel/resort for short stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 03:35
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,490 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a hotel/resort for short stay

You might want to check out www.vrbo.com for condo rentals at Sapphire, Crystal Cove (both on beautiful Sapphire Beach which has excellent snorkeling too) and Elysian. December is high season, most condos have a three night minimum but you may well be able to find something to suit which still has available dates early December. Sapphire has the Grapevine Grille up on the hill in Sapphire Village and, although it hasn't got the best reviews, it's recently changed hands so we hope for the best. Elysian has Robert's excellent restaurant and it's "sister" more casual counterpart, "Ainsley's" under the same ownership.

30 years since you've been here and you're right, the roads in most areas aren't wider or less steep, the volcanic topography hasn't changed but you'll nonetheless see huge changes as you come through town.

Red Hook is nothing like it was when you were here. That sleepy hamlet has turned into a seething metropolis of a tourist mecca. I'm a 26 year resident and sometimes forget what STT used to be until someone nudges the synapses - but in many areas it still is as it was and thank goodness for that.

Hope this has helped and let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Edited: 25 October 2010, 03:49
Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a hotel/resort for short stay

Secret Harbour!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a hotel/resort for short stay

I say look into the Island Beachcomber. It is about 1/4 mile from the airport, has a beautiful beach, a restaurant and beach bar, and won't break the bank. They even have mini fridges in the room so you can buy some of your own groceries or pop/beer and save some $$. The only downfall is that the snorkeling is not great. It is ok if you go over to the left.

Water Island, St...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a hotel/resort for short stay

Water Island meets your requirements. Just a short ferry ride from the Sub-base area of St Thomas. Safe, friendly and affordable. Visit the Water Island Civic Association web site for information about the island: www.WaterIslandWica.com

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a hotel/resort for short stay

We're suckers for Elysian, we have stayed their each time we are on the island and we are staying again in July. They are supposed to be going through a pretty hefty rennovation of the Wyndham owned units right now - slated to be done in December, so I'm not sure what kind of availability they would have. It's easy to Red Hook, decent beach, snorkeling is ok -but you won't see much more than some rocks and some fish, you have two restaurants on site and the pool is decent. However, if you are a 4 star hotel person - you probably won't be happy here.

Secret Harbor is right around the corner from Red Hook and Blue Moon Cafe is one of our favorite restaurants...excellent wine list. The property is nice as well - but we've never stayed there.

I also agree that Island Beachcomber would be a good choice - even Best Western Emerald Beach might fit your needs...but snorkeling isn't so great. They are both VERY close to the airport - you could more or less "throw a stone" and hit the runway.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a hotel/resort for short stay

Secret Harbour. Nice beach. Good snorkeling. Excellent restaurant on premises. Close to the ferry to St. John. Good pool. Pretty views. Sometimes a great sunset!

8. Re: Looking for a hotel/resort for short stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2011, 05:15