We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

My husband and I are planning a beach dive at Coki Beach. We are bringing our 2 little ones and my in-laws, who are planning on spending thier time on the beach. After reading recent reviews and stories about crime issues and dirty conditions, I am starting to 2nd guess our plans.

Do you think it is reasonable to leave our kids with the in-laws while we are scuba diving off the beach or should we just skip it. I am a reasonable person and my husband and I always stay on guard wherever we go, but I worry about us (or my inlaws) becoming an easy target with the 2 little ones there.

Just curious if I could get some opinions of some of you who have been there.

Thanks!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,579 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

Coki has undergone some quite drastic changes and the whole atmosphere has changed for the better. The road leading to the beach has been cleared and cleaned up, the vendors will eventually be re-situated in a more orderly fashion and the VIPD regularly patrols the beach and surrounding area in ATVs. I wouldn't be at all concerned. Enjoy yourselves!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

Thanks STTresident! I appreciate the info and your input!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

If your in-laws are used to watching the children and keeping close tabs on them around the water, they'll probably be fine. Unless things have changed a lot I wouldn't think Coki would be the place to just let them run free without the eye of vigilant adults.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,579 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

kzdallas, things HAVE changed a lot at Coki since you were last here and it's all good. See my earlier post.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

Yes, I am completely convinced my in-laws will do a great job in watching my kids, as they always do. I was more refering to safety issues such as crime, which would be out of their control, with the idea in mind that they could potentially be easier targets since they have the little ones with them.

Sounds like the changes they have made are being effective, I am glad to hear. Hope things continue that direction!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,579 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

I hope so too. A new not for profit organization is in the works and the articles of incorporation for the Smith Bay Community Action Group, Inc. are, as we speak, on their way to the Lt Governor's office. The group's mission statement is, "To promote the integrity and positive growth of Smith Bay in order to improve the quality of life for residents and the business community."

Our aim is to enhance Estate Smith Bay via beautification and crime prevention amongst several other issues. We have the complete cooperation of all sectors of the Virgin islands Police Department, VI Waste Management, the VI Department of Public Works, several senators, and are nothing but optimistic that we can create positive change in Smith Bay.

Most people don't realize that Estate Smith Bay is a vast estate which also encompasses Red Hook. Our initial target area is from the top of Cassi Hill through to and including Sapphire and all outlying areas including Coki. It's a truly grass-roots endeavor which I'm immensely proud to be a part of, so wish us bon chance as we slowly get everything together and work towards our dream. Cheers!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

Thanks STTResident for caring. I hope and pray you are all successful in your goals. What a great thing for you to be a part of!

8. Re: Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 11:18
9. Re: Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 April 2011, 06:05
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coki Beach: Safe enough to bring my two little kids to?

Your concerns for the young ones and in-laws hopefully worked out!!!! ---- as the original post is from 5 months ago but dredged up by a very malicious poster who has precious little knowledge of rhe VI and seem to have some personal vendetta to advance - most of bluestwaters posts in the last few days have been removed by TA and are couched in sarcasm and irony to avoid the outright censorship they have earned and deserve. This is a travel forum and not a soapbox for political and personal attack.

You can click on his /her profile and read all posts but most have been removed for good reason.