We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging for a few nights in St Thomas

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lodging for a few nights in St Thomas

Hello,

I am sure all three of these locations have been discussed over and over again, but in comparison of the three against one another, which property would be recommended?

Marriott Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort

Point Pleasant

Secret Harbour Beach Resort

For most of the time, we will be exploring both St Thomas and St John - beaches, bars, restaurants, etc. - but we are looking a place that offers a clean and comfortable room/property, a place that offers some nice on-site accommodations (pool, beach, bar), and in a good location.

Also, while I have you, if you have an opinion on these two for one night prior to flying out, that would be great too!

Malofie

Galleon

Thanks!

Travers

Mentioned in this post
Point Pleasant Resort by Akers Ellis
Point Pleasant Resort by...
739 Reviews
St. Thomas
Harbour Beach Villas
Harbour Beach Villas
47 Reviews
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging for a few nights in St Thomas

I think that Secret Harbour fits your requirements perfectly. The proximity to Red Hook for ferry access is unbeatable.

Secret Harbour has a gorgeous beach, clean and comfortable rooms, an excellent on site restaurant and beach bar and plenty of watersports activities as well as a dive shop.

Mentioned in this post
Red Hook
Red Hook
St. Thomas
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,555 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging for a few nights in St Thomas

I second Secret Harbour. Point Pleasant is very nice but there's no beach to speak of and the beach at the Reef has virtually no snorkeling ops - also quite some distance from the Red Hook ferry terminal.

As far as the one-night I would also look into Crystal Place which is above town, and the Best Western Emerald Beach resort which is right on the airport road on a lovely beach.

Mentioned in this post
Secret Harbour
Secret Harbour
634 Reviews
St. Thomas
739 Reviews
St. Thomas
Red Hook
Red Hook
St. Thomas
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
1,839 Reviews
St. Thomas
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging for a few nights in St Thomas

Thank you to you both for your input!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging for a few nights in St Thomas

Secret Harbour gets my vote too.

I also 2nd Crystal Palace, never been myself but gets great reviews.

Tripadvisor ranking is 6 vs 10 for Galleon.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging for a few nights in St Thomas

Frenchman's Reef has a pretty setting and great views, but not the best beach. Secret Harbour has a nice beach and a good restaurant and there's pretty good snorkeling off the beach. Sunsets here can be pretty, too. Point Pleasant has very pretty views from the cliff side rooms of St. John and down island to the BVI and two good restaurants. Agave Terrace has been one of our favorites over the years. But, others correctly noted that there is no beach. There are 3 or 4 pools, however, and they have lovely landscaping. The closest beach is a few minutes walk, but it's not that great.

The Mafolie is way up on the hillside with million dollar views, but it's an old hotel and shows its age. Still, it's a great deal as they do offer shuttle service to/from Magens Beach each day and, I think, a one-way service to town. So, considering taxi prices, not a bad deal.

I often write on my blog about the Virgins, as well as other places. Today, I did a post "Christmas in the Caribbean" about St. Thomas at

http://katiepickardfawcett.wordpress.com/

Mentioned in this post
739 Reviews
St. Thomas
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Mafolie Hotel
Mafolie Hotel
587 Reviews
St. Thomas
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
6. Re: Lodging for a few nights in St Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2011, 05:25