We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime

milwaukee
Level Contributor
423 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Crime

booked a trip for our babymoon and now Im hearing about crime and how much safer and better st.john is.... is this true?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime

We have been coming to St. Thomas for numerous years now. We are on St. Thomas now:))) We have never had an encounter where we didn't feel safe. Just like you would do at home.....don't go down dark alleys at night and just use common sense. It is a beautiful island with beautiful people. Take the time to talk to locals and learn about their island. Every single city has crime and St. Thomas does, too. If you use your head you will be fine. Congrats on the upcoming baby:)))

Boston
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime

Yes, it is true that St John is safer than St Thomas, but I would not let that deter me from going to STT if that is where you want to go.

Better is very subjective. Personally, I think St Croix is 'better' than either STT or STJ, for a lot of reasons, one of them being the restaurants on St Croix, but again, it is subjective. St John has some of the nicest beaches in the world, but for me the big downfall is that it is prohibitively expensive for most people to stay directly on the beach and so you have to drive to the beach. For me, that is a dealbreaker because I hate getting into a hot car all sandy and sticky to drive back to my place. It is also more expensive on St John for most things. A good compromise would be to stay on St Thomas (on the beach) and do a day trip or two to St John as it is just a short ferry ride away.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime

I can't even count the times that we've been to STT, and here's my honest opinion. We love it and we have never been scared or nervous about where we go and what we do.

We stay in the Red Hook area where there are restaurants and shops and the ferry over to STJ.

We don't go to Charlotte Amalie at night. During the day, fine, no problem, but it doesn't give me that safe feeling that I like near Red Hook.

You'll be fine. Where are you staying?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
600 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime

If you follow these posts daily (like I do since I'm not there until July - and this is usually our week to go - so sad) - yesterday you would've gotten the impression crime on St. John was terrible based on one persons individual post - so crime is in the eye of the beholder.

I have had more encounters with crime in OH than I've had on St. Thomas or St. John. Both islands are beautiful - St. John is smaller, more beautiful beaches, etc - but we always stay on STT and take a day trip or two to STJ. As dtenel said - if you travel with the same precautions you do at home - don't worry. The only thing we've ever seen is a purse get snatched downtown.

Depending on where you're staying and what you're planning on doing - I'm willing to bet you won't notice anything that even stands out as suspicious.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime

We spent 4 nights in June on both STT and STJ and preferred STJ. It is a much cleaner and safer vibe. St john's in general is higher end and you pay for it as well. The beaches are prettier, the whole island has a cleaner, newer feel in our opinion. Red hook did have a safer feel than Charlotte Amalie area. We stumbled into a scary area one night in Charlotte amalie. It was our fault for missing our turn while walking. We never had this feeling at all on St John.

Driving to the beaches in St john's was a little of a hassle. Besides' the Ritz in STT, we didn't see any really nice beaches with hotels on them on either islands. We prefer other destinations to stay on the beach...Punta Cana, Caymans, mayan Riviera, Cabo, and Hawaii. I will say that not having commercialization on the beaches does give these beaches a pristine, authentic feel.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
121 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime

Crime is "worse" on STT than STJ simply for 2 reasons: 1--approx 60K people on STT, less than 10K on STJ. 2--STJ is much more expensive to live in general [and vacation as well].

You can easily ferry over to STJ from STT, and if you avoid certain areas at night and aren't a target you're fine. #1 rule on STJ, STT, STX, ANY island around here is BE NICE, polite, be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

Please don't let yourself think that STT is dangerous as it is not [in aggregate], so long as you don't make yourself an obvious target [just like any other city in the US]. Yes, avoid Charlotte Amalie at night, but downtown closes at 4:30 basically so you wouldn't want to be there after dark anyway. Plenty of places to go and things to do where you'll feel and be safe here.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime

You can google and get the crime stats per population for almost any place/island in the world. It's also good to know areas to avoid, etc. It's just not wise to walk around after dark in unfamiliar places simply because you won't have a clue whether it's a safe area or not -- and this goes for any place you travel. And don't ever expect a vacation destination to be crime free any more than you would expect your own city to be crime free. People often let down their guard on vacation and that's not wise.

That being said, in 30+ years of enjoying St. Thomas, we've never had a problem. We do taxi door to door at night. We don't frequent deserted public beaches. We don't stay out drinking in the wee hours. Basically, we take the same precautions we do everywhere. Go, enjoy, and do a trip report. :) Check out my blog for pics and posts in the VI http://katiepickardfawcett.wordpress.com/

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime

I guess we shouldnt have been just walking around charlotte amalie at night. We went out to a restaurant and had drinks and came back around midnight and walked into a rough area one night. It was scary.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
121 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime

Charlotte Amalie is not the place to be at night...

10. Re: Crime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2011, 06:25