We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

N0v 2011 Marriott on St. Thomas and St. John too, etc.

Mountainside, NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
N0v 2011 Marriott on St. Thomas and St. John too, etc.

Hi all

This is the deal Marriott offered me one of their timeshare talk incentive packages and my family of five is thinking of going to St. Thomas for NJ teacher conventions week 11/5-11/12/11. The package from Marriott is only good for 4 nights/5 days. I was thinking maybe we could go to St. John first for 3 nights and that would make it a full week. My kids will be 6,9, &11. But were can a family of 5 stay affordably on St. John for 3 days? I looked at the Westin and for a 2 bedroom it was very expensive. My other issue is I've heard on this forum the Marriott on St. Thomas is having construction done -- I asked Marriott and they were clueless -- does anyone know if construction will be done by November 2011. Finally, there have been some negative complains on this site about the St. Thomas Marriott so I'm a little nervous to book there as well. But prices on AA are low right now for that week from NY and we've never been there so I'm tempted to take my chances with the hotel. Final thing is Marriott can't tell me for another 2 weeks if there is room at the hotel that week -- but AA's flights are low now -- do I just book the flight and hope there's availability at Marriott -- thoughts are much appreciated!!!!

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
805 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: N0v 2011 Marriott on St. Thomas and St. John too, etc.

Book the flight. Marriott will have availability (they won't pass up a chance at a timeshare tour). And you will be able to find some kind of lodging on STJ for a few nights. There have been numerous posts about your options.

Of course you could just allow for 7 nights on STJ, rent a decent villa, and really enjoy yourself!!!

-Advice Dishin' Dragon

Mountainside, NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: N0v 2011 Marriott on St. Thomas and St. John too, etc.

Thanks for the advice - so you think I can get someone to rent a decent place for me on STJ for 3 nights? -- It sounds like you're much more of an STJ fan -- originally wanted just STJ, but the timeshare price was very family friendly so I thought it will save us some $ and maybe we can see both islands. BTW how much is the ferry to get over to STJ and how far is it from the airport in st. thomas?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: N0v 2011 Marriott on St. Thomas and St. John too, etc.

You might see if the Westin has any specials for their time share operation. If not searh around for other VI websites that have more information on STJ lodging. If your family would camp for the three nights, say at Maho Campground, you can have a very different experience and it is very reasonable by STJ standards.

The ferry costs about $6/person out of Red Hook as I recall it goes up a dollar every so often. The CA ferry would be closer but check their schedule as they don't run that often and sometimes not at all. The CA Ferry is fairly close to the airport. The Red Hook ferry is about a half hour drive.

If you want less expensive accomodations in STT for the three nights it is available. Sapphire Village might work well for you.

4. Re: N0v 2011 Marriott on St. Thomas and St. John too, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2011, 06:21