We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market within walking distance of ferry

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Market within walking distance of ferry

Hi folks!

One week from tonight we'll be celebratin our first evening in the islands! Woo hoo!!!

Question: Is there a good market with a decent selection and decent prices (not too expensive) within walking distance of the ferry in CA?

Thanks!

-Pedestrian Dragon

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Market within walking distance of ferry

It is a flat and 20-30- min walk in either direction to Pueblo Long Bay or Sub Base -- take a taxi back to the ferry - do you really want to carry, pay for and transport via ferry a grocery shopping excursion??

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Market within walking distance of ferry

I agree with llocalsailor - not a plan! Groceries here are not inexpensive and taxis and the ferries charge extra per bag. Many visitor groups staying on STJ rent a vehicle on STT and load up with groceries at CostULess and/or Plaza Extra before taking the car barge over to STJ but doing it any other way is cost prohibitive and not worth it. Buy what you need on STJ when you get there.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Market within walking distance of ferry

A little clarification. I am not stocking up for a stay on STJ. We'll be in STT for 5 nights without a car. We just wanted to get some provisions for our stay. After STT we'll be moving on to STJ and there we will have a car and stock up on island. I said "ferry" because we'd be coming from the Marriott on thier water shuttle.

So - I understand that the markets are either Pueblo Long Bay or Sub Base. Can you please provide some basic directions? I figure if we have too many bags we could take a car taxi back to the Marriott.

Thanks much!

-Supply Depot Dragon

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Market within walking distance of ferry

From the Marriot - Take a taxi to Gourmet Gallery or Pueblo Long Bay or the smaller Kmart in Long Bay

5. Re: Market within walking distance of ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 05:17