We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frenchman Reef or Bolongo Bay for Large Group!

Waterford...
2 posts
Save Topic
Frenchman Reef or Bolongo Bay for Large Group!

Hi Everyone,

We are having a tough time deciding where to block out our rooms for our wedding in 2012. We are going to have more than 100 guests...my initial thought was the Marriott but it just seems super expensive and we want to make it affordable for every budget.

the Bolongo seems nice too more affordable & laid back but some of the reviews say its run down and isn't too clean.which is our major concern.

can anyone give me some advice or their opinion?

FYI-we've only been to the Marriott down there!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frenchman Reef or Bolongo Bay for Large Group!

I don't have first hand experience, but setting cost aside, the Marriott would be my choice to handle a wedding that size. I know people who have been to large weddings there and rave about what beautiful weddings they were.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frenchman Reef or Bolongo Bay for Large Group!

I can understand your dilemma! First, I wouldn't pay too much heed to negative reviews about Bolongo. It's a family-owned operation which has well suited many people for many years. The accommodations are basic but perfectly adequate and any reports of it being "run down" and not too clean are negatives which have also been reported where the Marriott Frenchman's Reef operation is concerned.

How much time do you spend in your room when on St Thomas anyway? Not much at all realistically - basically a place to lay your head at night after a day of sun and fun.

You have a very big group and would probably prefer they stay in the same place but the Bolongo Bay Resort isn't too far from the Marriott Frenchman's Reef Resort so you might be able to work out something between the two operations which, cost-wise, would at least give your guests an option where price is concerned.

Have you decided exactly where you're going to be married? I'd firmly suggest enlisting the help of a local wedding coordinator. Frenchman's Reef has a coordinator on site and I'm sure Bolongo has its recommendations. However, there are many independent and very well respected local wedding coordinators who'll work with you and within your budget to ensure that not only will your day be one to remember but suggest sites outside of FR or Bolongo - and budget in transportation for your guests to and fro.

2012 is a while away, you have loads of planning time ahead. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Waterford...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Frenchman Reef or Bolongo Bay for Large Group!

Thanks so much for your thoughts and opinions :) I appreciate it...we are having the ceremony at the Marriott on the seacliff terrace overlooking the water :)

Then the reception is at Havana Blue! I'm so excited so we are working with the coordinators for cereomy and reception. The marriott hasn't been too easy to deal with even for the ceremonypart.

I think its a great idea to offer but it was just the whole idea of Bolongo being dirty really threw us off!

Thanx :)

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frenchman Reef or Bolongo Bay for Large Group!

If you -- and others in the party -- can afford Frenchman's Reef, then by all means do it. It's a lovely place for a wedding and, aside from the Ritz, the best place on the island.

5. Re: Frenchman Reef or Bolongo Bay for Large Group!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2011, 05:40