We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in St Thomas

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Topic
Safety in St Thomas

Has anyone who has traveled recently to St Thomas felt unsafe?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in St Thomas

Me 9919

Please use the search option on the web site and you can search for safety or crime and you will see this issue discussed at length. I do not mean to be short with you, but this has been discussed so much that it gets tiresome answering the same question over and over.

Franklin
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in St Thomas

Our family (20 and 14 year old) was in St. Thomas for a week in December. We traveled all over the island during the day and at night.

We were on the waterfront one night for a boat parade. There was a BIG Christmas celebration with a lot of locals.

We parked pretty far away and had to walk along the waterfront. It wasn't bad walking over because it was daylight. Even though we were walking along the main road along the waterfront going back, I kept a very close eye out for trouble. We didn't have any.

We were in Charlette Amalia (downtown area) one night to eat. Some locals told us it was not safe as the night got later. Also, almost everything except a few places to eat close around 6 p.m. when the cruise ships leave.

Overall I felt much safer in St. Thomas than I did in Playa de Carmen, Mexico last summer.

I hope this helps.

N.J.
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in St Thomas

Do not go to Duffys love shack at night, we had a gang follow or cab out, they were in a van with bats and machetes . The guard followed us out all the way to our hotel or we would have been in trouble.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in St Thomas

Brew, how long ago was this and about what time did it happen.

Although I certainly don't condone any kind of gang action going on, Duffy's is not known as a family place to go to. Even I'm too old for it.

Just curious for more information. Red Hook is really not a scary place to go.

N.J.
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in St Thomas

Yes it was back in 2002 , so about 9 years ago this july. We were told it would not be safe to go out at night, but My younger wife loves to go out. So yes I will party and have fun. How old are you that you don't go out any more ??

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
820 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in St Thomas

Itsconnie, my kids (20 and 13 years) enjoy Duffy's and always insist on going there to eat in the parking lot! We almost always see other families there earlier in the evening when we typically go. Later in the evening I agree that you don't see a lot of families there. We have never felt unsafe there or really anywhere on St. Thomas.

7. Re: Safety in St Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 June 2011, 11:05
N.J.
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in St Thomas

Itsconnie, It was the year after we were married seens this will be or 10 year annv. I was in my mid thirtys and my wife late twentys. So I would think you are much older seens you don't go out. It was late at night about midnight when we left Duffys. We asked the so called cab to take us to country where our hotel is. It was a open pickup truck with benches in back. the vans sliding door on the side was open when it passed us as we went into our gate at the hotel. We then saw how many were inside. the gaurd came in to our hotel lot and turned around to go back. The Fact is , things happen. we were lucky. St Thomas is a pretty Island. Just be careful.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in St Thomas

Brew, I've been to STT many times and I've been to Duffy's. To others, I didn't say I don't go out at night, I just said I was too old for Duffy's.

There's no way that I would go there late at night when things really get going. Believe me, I've seen things there that where like WHOA!! It can get crazy there and that's just not our scene anymore. Most likely, I'm in bed by the time things get going there.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in St Thomas

Just got back from island hopping and spent several days on St. Thomas. No problems. We had a great time. However, I agree with Connie about Duffy's.

Actually, I don't think I've ever been "young" enough for late-night partying. It's just never been my thing. We enjoy going out to dinner and then heading back to the hotel. I never feel unsafe on St. Thomas, but I also take a taxi door-to-door at night, don't wander down deserted streets or along deserted beaches, don't linger in town after the shops close. It's a matter of using common sense and drinking wisely.