We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iguanas

Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Iguanas

Which of the 3 islands (st. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John) has the FEWEST iguanas?? I am freaking out over some of the reviews that they are on your deck and sitting in your screened windows.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iguanas

Why are you freaking out? They don't bother you. You will mainly see them sunning themselves in the trees or eating flower blossoms. Occasionally we have found a little one in the house somewhere, but I have yet to wake up with one laying on my chest looking at me ; )

NJ
Level Contributor
241 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iguanas

Seriously, don't go the Caribbean if iguanas freak you out. In fact, don't leave your house/apartment. The world is scary.

.sioda,

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iguanas

Just think of them as squirrels. Only different.

Anamosa, Iowa
Level Contributor
104 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iguanas

They're sort of like squirrels, yeah. Brazen raccoons looking in your garbage for food. The only time they're interested in humans, is when the humans have food. If you;re near a spot they want to be in, they will walk over and want to claim it. Or climb a tree that you're sitting under. All you have to do is get up and move elsewhere. Keep food off your deck etc and ' dont feed the bears'. Or dont go to the VI. Maybe further north in the caribbean, where they aren't that plentiful ?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iguanas

I love the squirrel analogy! So very true!

I also agree that if you are freaking out about iguanas, don't go anywhere in the Caribbean or Mexico. I've only had one run in with an iguana - and it was minor. My first trip down there, I made the mistake of putting my bag of snacks and my drink on the ground next to my beach chair - that little sucker had been eyeballing me the entire time I was there just waiting for me to put something down. I never knew they could run that fast - he came running at me as fast as his four legs could carry him! I screamed, leaped out of my chair and ran down the beach. My husband (and everyone else within a 10 foot radius) laughed histerically at me. All my husband had to do was pick up my snacks, put them on my chair and it stopped the iguanna dead in his tracks.

Having recovered from that experience, now they don't generally phase me too much. Last year I fell asleep on one of the pool chairs and when I woke up, two of them were enjoying the shade I created and were laying underneath my chair.

They are not afraid of humans, because people feed them. You won't find me willingly getting that close to them - but if you ignore them, you'll be fine. Otherwise, just move out of their way.

Hennepin, Illinois
Level Contributor
171 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iguanas

Hey cajoIowa, I take it by your sig that you live in Iowa. That in itself is scarier than any old iguana. :) From your Illinois neighbor.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iguanas

One of the desk clerks at the old Pineapple Beach Resort, back when they had those funny cement round Hobbit duplexes told a story one night about a very nice and apologetic call he got one evening from one of the guests about a lizard in the bathtub.

The desk clerk tried to kindly explain that the lizards were harmless and even beneficial since they eat the mosquitoes. The woman still not wanting to make a bother just kept repeating that she'd feel better and be more comfortable if someone would shoo it away. The clerk finally gave in and went down to find a 3 foot long Iguana hanging out in the tub.

The guest was grateful.

Seriously cajo, that happened back in the 60's. It's a rare story they don't want to share a room with you. What the folks are saying hear is true, you either need to get over it or keep north.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iguanas

Another animal to worry about is the mongoose. They like to steal your lunch on the beach if you don't keep it in a cooler or zipped beach bag. One year when we took the kids, one of them forget that and a mongoose ran off with a bag of chips, which the kids thought was hilarious! He came back looking for more, but we had corrected the error, so he went on his way to find another unsuspecting beach goer.

Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iguanas

I first clicked on this hoping it would tell me were to FIND iguanas! I LOVE them & am definitely hoping to see them.

I don't like spiders, so I kinda get your fear. I did survive many encounters with spiders in Costa Rica though and of course very glad I went to CR, despite creepy BIG spiders!

Funny, as I was hoping a gecko would stay on my pillow because I knew it would eat the spiders! (We were in a small casita in the middle of the rainforest) bizarre critters were everywhere!

Try to think of iguanas as very cool, (so prehistoric) - instead of scary. I would get a book on them from the library and research them, knowing more about them will help eliminate your fear, when you can look at pictures of them without sending shivers up your spine, you're good to go! Enjoy & don't let an iguana hold you back from paradise! :)

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iguanas

There have been unverified sitings of Komodo Dagons.

Good news is they will eat the Iguanas.

Bad news is they will eat you.

Edited: 29 January 2011, 16:55