We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Tour

Fort Erie, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Tour

Taking 20 senior high school culinary students on a class cruise. Would like to tour several educational spots( walking tour ) and sample the local cuisine if possible,also vist the markets in the area and again sample the local fruits and vegatables. We would like to hire a local guide, Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Tour

You can do the walking tour in a couple of hours. With high school students perhaps even faster. Print a map of Charlotte Amalie or pick up one when you arrive. www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/st/camap.shtml

Some historic sites in town: Fort Christian, Legislature Building, Emancipation Park, Grand Galleria (across from Emancipation Park occupies an entire block, good example of 19th century architecture, was once the Grand Hotel, now houses shops), Frederick Lutheran Church (lovely architecture, antique chandeliers, 19th century plaques) , Post Office (view the murals by famed Saturday Evening Post artist Stephen Dohanos), Hotel 1829, 99 Steps, Haagensen House (restored 18th century Danish house with antiques and beautiful grounds), Crown House, Blackbeard's Castle, Government House, St. Thomas Synagogue (2nd oldest synagogue in the Western Hemisphere, floor is sand), Birthplace of Camille Pissarro (now an art gallery), Market Square (once the largest slave market in the Caribbean, now a farmers' market).

Cuzzin's Caribbean Restaurant at 7 Backstreet is known for authentic local specialties. Also Gladys Cafe (Royal Dane Mall in town) is great and Gladys is known for her amazing hot sauce.

You don't need a guide nor a taxi to do the walking tour in town and eat at one of these restaurants. The Visitor's Center is across from Emancipation Park in town and they can provide you with maps and information about all of the historic places.

Enjoy!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Tour

The St Thomas Historical Society has an excellent guided walking tour or the book to do it yourself.

contact# 340-774-5541 --- 340-690-5510 Debbie Avery

directorSTTH@gmail.com

This is worth setting up and will be a great highlight for any group.

The Sat. morning at Market SQ. -early morning : 7AM is a treat

The Bordeaux Farmers Coop is an amazing visit too

Edited: 28 February 2011, 04:57
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Tour

When is the cruise? There are at least 2 culinary programs for high school students, and maybe you could arrange a visit.

You could do a local breakfast of saltfish, johnny cake, and Avocadoes on a Saturday at Delly Deck and maybe have a vegetarian rasta lunch.

Our local market doesn't have a reliable supply of produce. Maybe you could arrange a farm or garden visit. Let me think on that a bit.

You might want to visit the 7 Arches living museum. It still has an intact outdoor kitchen. It's within walking distance of the Historical Trust.

Fort Erie, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Tour

Thank you so much...it seems that we will have lots to see and do in St. Thomas....These are great ideas!! As it stands right now our cruise is in port on a Wednesday ......are all of these markets, coops and attractions open/working on a Wednesday??? Any local cruisine the kids really should not miss?? Also, is there a fish market?? Thanks so much everyone!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Tour

On a Wednesday, but WHEN? I was thinking about contacting someone who works with the 4H organization here to see if she could do/suggest a tour, but I need to know exactly when. I'm also thinking about getting in touch with a small farmer who has in the past made condiments that people can take back.

Yes, there is a fish market, but by the time the ships come in, most of the fish has been sold. But, I did take a cruise ship passenger to the Frenchtown fish market when her ship came into port, and there were a few fish species left. She got a chance to see Caribbean lobsters as opposed to Maine lobsters, and she got a chance to see people cleaning the fish. You never know, though, when they're going to finish or if there's anything left after 7 a.m. Much of the fish they catch goes directly to the restaurants.

As far as food they should try, they should definitely try conch, but not the fritters. Cuzzin's serves curried conch, conch in butter sauce, and I think conch in a creole sauce. They should try kalalloo (also available at Cuzzin's).

They should try fungi. It's similar to another somewhat popular dish, so they could learn about the similarities and differences.

They should try the local beverages, but they're hard to find. There's a rasta vegetarian restaurant in town and I think they have local, natural drinks on a daily basis. They should try "bush" tea.

There's a lot we could probably coordinate for you, but we need a few more specifics.

Fort Erie, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking Tour

How wonderful!! Right at the moment we are trying to do up an itinerary in order to get the final approval from the School Board. In our request we must account for every minute before they can grant us permission. We are looking into things early in order to do so. Even the date may change so it is still alittle up in the air. All of the ideas you have given us are fantastic and we are very interested.....when we get a final date we will post right away...I am hoping for APPROVAL within the next couple of weeks and then we can go to Carnival to solidify the dates...my husband and I are especially excited to hear about 4H in your area as I was a 4H leader up here in Canada and my daughter was a member of a dairy 4H club. It is so wonderful to get so many great responses to our post...it is people like you, and the rest who have answered, that will help us make this trip that the kids will remeber for the rest of their lives.! Thanks again so much!!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking Tour

I'll get in contact with the 4H person, and see what she may be able to come up with.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking Tour

It would be perfect if your group could come on Wed, May 4, 2011 for the annual Carnival Market Fair Day. That's when there'll be a cornucopia of produce and foods from throughout the Caribbean available in town. You could sample the breakfast foods in the morning, take a historical walking tour shortly thereafter, then take a tour to other parts of the island, and then come back to the fair for the chef's demonstration/competition and to try more foods.

I could send you photos from last year's competition (well, I think I have photos from last year, but definitely from the year before!).

That would be the ideal.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking Tour

I sent you a PM with the 4H Extension Agent contact info.

10. Re: Walking Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 00:19