We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Minnesota
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We returned on Sunday from our third trip to the island. We stayed at a villa near Mahogany Run. Since I have found this forum to be invaluable I wanted to share some things from our trip.

Food: Fishtails in Red Hook -- we had the wahoo, tuna and lobster (there were four of us). All was very good. I particularly liked the tuna.

Latitude 18 -- always one of our favorites.... just don't forget your sweater.

Virgillio's in Charlotte Amalie -- always one of our favorites as well. We hadn't planned to go this time, but ended up in town on a large cruise ship day and didn't want to battle the crouds at the camera store so had a nice leisurely lunch until the stores had cleared out some.

Fungi's - worst meal we had on the island. The atmosphere was fun, but service was slow and we did not care for the food.

Rum Buzzin - is located where Acacia used to be at Magen's Point Resort (I think that is what it was called). The food was fine (not great, but good) but it was a beautiful setting by the pool at the resort.

We took steak with us for one night and ate that at our villa and on the other night we had them steam lobsters at the Food Center and took them back to eat --- yummm.

Activities consisted of a lot of lounging on various beaches. We did take a day trip on the Big Blue which was great. We really enjoyed it and thought Capt. Wilson did a great job.

To all those getting ready to go ..... I'm jealous and would love to go back immediately!

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

What do you recomend at Latitude 13?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

No big deal, buts it's lattitue 18 :o)

They have AMAZING shrimp in garlic and butter sauce, with the softest, warm rolls for dipping. I'm pretty sure it's an appetizer, but there's plenty to share. One of the best things I ever taste.....mmmmm...can't wait!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the report. I haven't been to Fungi's in a while, so I'm glad to get some recent feedback. What did you order? It's unfortunate that they didn't do a better job, because there aren't many "local" restaurants in that area. They've been around for a long time comparatively.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

If I recall correctly I had the catch of the day at Fungi's. Other people we had talked to during the week had been there and really enjoyed the food, so maybe we just got an off night. We all agreed that it was the most disappointing meal of the trip. I do recall the caesar salad had a dressing that was more like coleslaw than caesar.

At latitude 18, I had the mahi mahi and it was fabulous. One of the people in our group had the chicken dish and thought it was great as well. We've been to Latitude 18 four times in our three trips to St. Thomas and never been disappointed with the food.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,492 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Thanks Cindy, we're looking forward to our first stay on STT over Easter week after a week on Tortola. We've been to STT on 4 cruises but we need to stay so we can enjoy Latitudes and other evening spots!

Thanks again for the report. Any pictures would also be appreciated!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

LOL! Cindy, your experience at Fungi's may be an island cultural experience that nobody ever mentions. From what I've experienced, somebody from the Caribbean will make a substition (usually because they had run out of an ingredient) and not mention it, because they assume you won't notice. That happened to me at my favorite Caribbean restaurant in the States before I moved here. He was from Haiti and substituted the tarragon for some other spice, and didn't tell me. Since I was with a group of friends, I didn't want to generate a negative vibe so I didn't say anything until I went again the next time. He was supposedly shocked that I noticed. It has happened to me here, too, so now I've learned to be very specific with my orders and send back anything that's not right. Also getting something that's not cooked well done in a Caribbean restaurant will never happen no matter how many times/ways you say medium or rare!

But, come to think of it, substitutions happen in many restaurants all over the world. If they gave me coleslaw dressing on a Caesar salad, I would have asked for something else. After all, you're paying for the meal, and it should at least be what you order.

7. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 22:16