We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

Our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) will be in St Thomas for a day on the carnival victory. I was wanting to take them to 2 beaches. Probably Coki and Sapphire. They are 7, 10 and 13 and are really into snorkeling. I was considering 2 beaches because I know they will enjoy Coki, but I wasn't sure if it was the kind of place we would want to relax for the whole day. Any thoughts about the cost of going to both beaches for 5 people? Is this even something I should consider?

Thanks everyone. I have always been able to get so much help from these forums!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

You can call the taxi association and get an exact fare 340-774-3130.

If I were to guess I think Carnival boats dock at Havensight so it would probably be about $7 or $8 per person to Coki. Then around $5 per person from Coki to Sapphire. Another $7 per person back to the ship.

That comes to more than $100 and that isn't considering the tips. An alternative would be to walk across the street from Havensight to the Avis office and rent a car. It would probably be about $70 for a one day rental.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

If this is your primary snorkel stop I would spend the $$ on both beaches as they are both nice. But if I had to pick one it would be Coki even though it attracts more of the cruisers (for good reason). But it isn't so crowded that you can't find a nice spot and enjoy snorkeling. And there are several food/drink vendors there while Sapphire is much more limited. Coki was much better protected from the swells last April than Sapphire was, but we enjoyed staying on Sapphire.

Coki is just our favorite as St Thomas visitors.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

vinow.com/stthomas/…

Taxi fare to Coki/Sapphire will be between $9-10 per person depending on where your cruise ship docks, at Havensight or Crown Bay. Between the two, i.e. going from Coki to Sapphire would be $4 per person. I would look into the cost of what the cruise ship shore excursions offer as they very often work out much more fiscally reasonable for a group than trying to do it solo. Have fun!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

I think Billd's suggestion of renting a car is the way to go, because it would be cheaper, and you'd have more flexibility. You could even stop at Smith Bay Park as a third beach if you rented a car. What an awesome adventure that would be - 3 beaches in one day! They don't have snorkel equipment, though, at Smith Bay Park. No food, either. But it's a nice beach!

The rental car agency should be able to give you very detailed directions from Havensight.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

What is the parking lot like at Coki? Heard it might be a bit sketchy? I was also wondering about the safari bus/taxi? I thought it didn't go to Coki, but not sure? Wondering how workable that really is for 2 adults with 3 kids.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

Driving STT is not bad if you take it easy and renting a car is doable, just may not be the best choice for a short stop. I would recommend the taxi option for your family. You will find taxis at both beaches or one will arrive every so often. That should work out fine for you, that's how we always got around when there on a cruise.

Yes many folks would not be comfortable in the parking lot at Coki. It's not that bad but it could be crowded with locals/hawkers at some times. But the parking area at Coral World is just ahead (keep straight or bear right) and is much better. You pass the snorkel shack on the way from the Coral World lot to the beach and you're fine from there.

Sapphire is on the way back to Red Hook so if you have a little time left you could enjoy a pizza or great meatball parm sub at Island Time in Red Hook while watching the boats in the RH marina or go to Big Bambooz or Molly's.

What other islands are you hitting this cruise?

Enjoy!!!

Edited: 14 June 2011, 00:42
California
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

We did the same cruise in April and as in your case with 3 kids and wanting to see a few beaches, we rented a car. It was very easy and we loved Sapphire Beach. It is postcard perfect. The kids snorkelled and rented kayaks. We drove around the island after tiring at the beach. Saw Magens Bay and got some great pictures with the ship in the distance. It was an easy drive, go for it!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

Just got back and the fare was $45 each way and we tipped some on top of that. This was our most expensive cab ride of the whole trip. Coki beach is amazing for snorkeling. Our kids were amazed. Take or rent snorkel gear and then feed the fish while you are there. There will be hundreds around you! We were not bothered much by vendors and there were tons of families there with young kids. I can't imagine missing this snorkeling site. Amazing!

Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

Please don't feed the fish!!!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi for five to 2 beaches cost???

Glad you had a good time. Perhaps next trip you'll decide to come to STT for the whole time! That way you can also see St. John (one of the prettiest islands) and the BVI.