We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickie Trip Report

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Quickie Trip Report

We just returned from island hopping with several days on St. Thomas. Had a great time. The weather couldn't have been more perfect (actually, I don't mind the rain at all and it's important to the locals to get water in the cisterns so they don't have to pay the exorbitant prices for water delivery. But it was nice for extended family, who have never been to the islands, to see that beautiful water in bright sunlight.)

Unfortunately, the economy has left its mark on the islands as elsewhere. Robert's American Grill at the Elysian is closed. Blue Moon had closed but is supposed to open under new management.

We ate at Fish Tails in Red Hook and had a good meal, nice atmosphere, friendly staff. Iggie's is fun on the beach and the food is okay. I understand the Old Stone Farmhouse has new owners/chef and is getting pretty good reviews. The last time we ate there a couple of years ago, however, it was awful and cost a small fortune, so we weren't brave enough to go back. The best (gourmet) restaurant on the island remains Bleuwater at the Ritz Carlton.

With all the regular shops at Yacht Haven Grande and Havensight it seems almost all the stores in town are jewelry stores. It's too bad as I used to like the variety of shops. One could browse for hours. Now, if you're not looking for gems or gold, there's not a lot to offer.

We stayed again at At Home in the Tropics B&B Inn and had a wonderful time -- great hosts, food, atmosphere, views, etc. No better way to start an island-hopping vacation.

The newly-rebuilt Mountain Top is a large, barn-like building with tee shirts and tourist stuff. The view is still great.

I know many people do not like to go to town on cruise ship days, but do note that on days with no ships many of the shops can be closed. Some close early or don't open at all. We enjoyed easy shopping in town with no cruise ships in port, BUT several of the small shops down the passages were closed.

June is still one of my favorite times to go to the islands. The flame trees are in bloom and everything, after a very rainy May, is green and lush. Don't miss getting over to St. John if you're in the islands.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickie Trip Report

You should have went to Old Stone Farmhouse ! it is fantastic ! Was there in April and had outstanding food and service ! We can't wait to go back .

Irmo, South Carolina
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickie Trip Report

+1 on the Old Stone Farmhouse. Also try Craig & Sally's before crowning Bleuwater king :)

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickie Trip Report

Next time we'll have to go back to the Farmhouse. We did enjoy it very much years ago. Lots of people love Craig & Sally's and it's certainly worth the visit. My choice of Bleuwater is simply the result of years of consistently excellent meals in a beautiful setting. The best Ritz restaurant, however, is probably Blue by Eric Ripert on Grand Cayman. Not only gourmet but unique, but you have to like experimenting and enjoy some dishes with raw seafood.

I like all kinds of food -- great burgers and fries and gourmet "inventions." What I don't like is a restaurant that pretends to be gourmet, charges the prices, and doesn't produce the real deal.

Irmo, South Carolina
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickie Trip Report

Also speaking of raw fish Enkai's has the best sushi my wife and I have ever had. Definately worth trying.

Irmo, South Carolina
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickie Trip Report

Oh and the Ceviche at Enkai is to die for.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickie Trip Report

Thanks for the report ! Next visit we'll try Bluewater

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quickie Trip Report

I'll have to put Enkai on my list for next visit. We usually spend a day or two in town before island hopping.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quickie Trip Report

kzdallas, there are still some interesting shops in town, I think. I love the colorful, lightweight cotton tunics/kurtas at the new St Johns Bay Rum store on the Waterfront. Did you see those?

The Switchflop sandals at Fresh Produce are the PERFECT travel shoe for evenings out. I bought the ones with the kitten heel.

The stores in Palm Passage are managing to keep their doors open and still offer unique items. Let's hope they can hang on until a better wind blows through the economy.

9. Re: Quickie Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 06:15