We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott

midwest
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott

Hi,

Has anyone recently stayed at the Frenchman's Reef lately? I'm looking to get feedback on the construction going on at the hotel. We we'll be coming in 7/23-7/28 for our honeymoon. We are still deciding we we'll rent a car or do taxi's for our trip-any thoughts? We have nothing planned so far.

-Does anyone have recommendations of good local eating places nearby the hotel? we are open to anything that offers good value.

-Is there a grocery store or market within walking distance of hotel?

Thanks for your help:)

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott

Steph,

Congratulations on your impending wedding and I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon trip. My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Cove timeshare in June- although you are not asking about it, the properties are all almost adjacent to each other.

IMO, if you are ok with driving on the left side then I think a car is a great addition to the trip- there is really not much "within walking distance" and you go up quite a steep hill and curving roads to get there so it is not so conducive to walking (and we are walkers). We rented a car from Dependable because it was the least expensive I found but they were very prompt, courteous, and the car was fine. Having a car allowed us to explore a good bit of the island and visit many different beaches as well as go into CA and Red Hook to walk around shops and to eat.

There was a tiny little convenience type market next to the pool and grill at FC so I bet the other 2 properties have something similar - not a bad selection of some basics (some liquor, beer, snacks, milk, etc). The closest real supermarket was back down the road near the cruise docks and was called Pueblo. There was also a little gourmet market someone told me about in Havensight but we never went there.

We went to a couple of reasonable places in Yacht Haven Grande to eat- The Fat Turtle and Wikked- both were fairly good and had great waterfront views. It was nice to just stroll around in Yacht Haven around dinner time. In Havensight we went to a place called the Delly Deck which had a good breakfast, We also went to a sushi place called something like Beni Iguanas. There were other places in that general area that were recommended to us that we did not go. We thought this was the closest area to FC even though it was perhaps 10 minutes drive.

We enjoyed a restaurant called Hook, Line and Sinker in Frenchtown one night and places called Fish Tails and Big Bambooz in Red Hook. We also ate lunch at the Greenhouse on the way to the airport since many places were closed on Sundays, especially with no ships in the harbor.

We were on an unexpected trip so we were looking for reasonable places rather than high end places to eat- I don't know anything about the restaurants at the hotel, although I know there are nice ones. We only had drinks, not food, at the grill at FC which was all open air and had too many iguanas around for me!!

Anyway, hope this helped a little. Have a wonderful time!!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
370 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott

The Reef is currently closed for the renovations and no there is nothing within walking distance of the Marriott properties

3. Re: Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 21:18