We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
"Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

Not good news. Got an email from a buddy a couple hours back announcing that the economy, island politics and corporate decisions have decided the fate of yet another east end legend.

Blue Moon, Roberts, Ainsley's, Toad & Tart and from what I hear Fungi's will be joined by Latitude 18 in just 2 short weeks.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,490 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

Good grief. Maybe the Red Hook boys will add it to their ever-increasing clutch of restaurants and rename it, "Monopoly" ...

Edited: 12 August 2011, 13:50
Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
530 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

Wow, I hope not. We were supposed to have my daughter's wedding rehearsal dinner there Sept. 9th. Anyone know anything more?

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

I can't eat at "Monopoly" it's too expensive.

The message is trusted, it came from a long time soon to be unemployed staff member.

It's been in the rumor mill for a long time. Latitude was operating under a lease with the owner. It's a large very valuable hunk of land. Now just imagine it with mega yacht docks and a boutique hotel or something. It stinks for those of us who've appreciated it for what it was.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,490 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

SapphireBeach, I'd give them a call directly in case you have to make other arrangements!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

Seems there's lots of politics at work? Two of the Redhook restaurants were consistently recommended when we were there in July and we didn't like either one. I don't mind paying $$$ for a special meal but don't like paying $$$ for mediocre food. There are lots of places to get good (not gourmet!) food that's more reasonably priced.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
616 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

Darn it, this terrible news. Isn't Fungis operated by the Point Pleasant folks? What about Agave Terrace Does this spell doom for them too? This is too sad. Is this only happening on the East End or do the DE's see this as island wide problem.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,490 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

More restaurant closings apparently in the offing, mostly East End but who knows as I don't keep much of a handle on town. We've always been a few years behind stateside economic problems and, yes, in all areas it's island wide. The trickle down effect started here a few years ago and steadily gains momentum.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

I will really miss Latitude 18. Part of going to STT was trying to navigate the road...lol

It was a great place to go and relax, listen to good music, have good food at a good price.

What a shame

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

It's been happening in town, too. Herve' closed earlier this year. Betsy's Bar in Frenchtown closed, too. Both were always highly recommended.

IMO STT doesn't have enough tourists to support the many restaurants and stores it has. And with more and more people looking for budget vacations, there's a good likelihood that even more will close.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Another one bites the dust" Latitude 18 set to close Aug 27

Lat 18 was a favorite spot for us because of the vibe, of course - the quality of the food was a real surprise. Really too bad, nothing else came close for us except in the BVI....

Edited: 15 August 2011, 19:17