We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catamaran charter

Annapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Topic
Catamaran charter

We will be bareboating Dec 26-Jan2 and would love to find a charter out of St. Thomas. Any recommendations?

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catamaran charter

CYOA in Frenchtown has some nice catamarans - excellent bareboat service - knowledgeable staff - clean boats and convenient to provisioning.

That is a very busy week - I would get started on finding a boat yesterday.

Edited: 01 October 2011, 20:08
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catamaran charter

I second CYOA

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catamaran charter

I would never charter from CYOA. I've posted on several other websites about our horrible trip experience. We have chartered numerous boats, but have never been treated so rudely. There were numerous mechanical and safety issues with the cat and an absolutely filthy boat. If you want details and photos, I would be glad to supply.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Catamaran charter

Mirth60

They have already been and gone - they were chartering in December/January it is now March.

Pia

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catamaran charter

Thanks, Pia. But no matter what the timing, many bareboaters are looking for reviews on reliable, safe charters on St. Thomas. Adding my experience simply adds knowledge and another voice to their decision. Although we wrote a letter to the CYOA owner regarding our concerns and also complained to a "voice on the phone", CYOA ignored us - so in my opinion, they do not care about customer service or follow-up after they had all of our money.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Catamaran charter

Unfortunately you seen intent on slamming CYOA - I think you have made your point as you have posted enough negative reviews of the company that anyone using the "search" function will find them.

I am sorry you had such a horrible experience

Pia

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catamaran charter

I am in Frenchtown on a daily basis --[ for disclosure I do not work at or for CYOA ] - and often meet many satisfied sailors and repeat customers who are very happy after their CYOA charter, they commonly rave about the staff and the maintenance level of the vessels - I still recommend their bareboat fleet operation from an unbiased perspective - I am a professional mariner and have earned my living on the sea in the VI for almost 40 years.

Boat chartering vacations in the Virgin Islands have changed dramatically over my life here - bareboating started as a perfect alternative to bringing your own boat all the way here from your homeport and was exclusively patronized by experienced boat owners - Bareboating now is often viewed as a rental RV on the water and the expectations of the new demographic differ significantly from the previous boat owning clientele - and the vessels themselves have become substantially more complicated as a result - A/C - generators - multiple heads - microwaves - freezers - roller furling sails etc. On a catamaran you will usually have 4 engines to maintain during your weeks vacation - 2 main engines for propulsion - a generator for the huge power consumption you use and a dinghy engine for the trips ashore plus all the pumps for heads, water in all the sinks and showers, air conditioning, refrigeration etc. - the list goes on! - How often do you open the hood of your personal vehicle??

Sailing vacations are a wonderful way to enjoy the Caribbean - many unhappy charter guests would have had a much more stress free trip if they had been on a charter boat run by a dedicated crew - most sailors who enjoy bareboating have the experience and mindset that allows them to solve the inevitable boat problems and are proud of it, don't complain and find the whole trip to be so much easier than sailing their boat here from home.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Catamaran charter

I think localsailor makes a good point about the inevitable problems that arise on boats. This is part of boating and should not be surprising on a weeklong charter, how a company deals with the issues is what matters to the customers. I work in Frenchtown and see mechanics and crews working on CYOA boats on a daily basis, I think the boats are taken care of just as well as any other charter company. They do a comprehensive sail briefing and make sure that boats are in competent hands by requiring a checkout sail with a CYOA staff member.

That said, I will say that I can see how guests may find certain members of the CYOA staff abrasive and customer service lacking but that is a much different issue than the quality and maintenance of the vessels.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catamaran charter

Thought I would follow up my negative review of CYOA and let you know of our amazing bareboat experience this season. We decided to cruise this year in the Abacos and chartered a 36' cat from Cruise Abaco. A few days before we were to arrive, we got a call from Mark, the owner of Cruise Abaco telling us they were doing a routine maintanence check on the cat and they didn't want to send us out with any potential problems - so they upgraded us to their 42' newer cat at no charge. We had a wonderful time in the Abacos with a yacht that was in perfect mechanical condition and was spotless when we walked aboard. We had an efficient and friendly check-out with Bruce and we were on our way!

We are experienced sailors and have chartered dozens of boats. My husband has been racing and sailing for 40 years. The boats and people at Cruise Abaco demonstrate what a professional, top-notch charter company is all about. When we returned the cat on our last day, Mark checked us in and thanked us for returning the boat in such great condition! We appreciate the beauty of a sailing yacht in good condition - we're also deeply disappointed by others who don't appreciate their customers. We will return to Cruise Abaco and recommend their charters without hesitation.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 20:49
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catamaran charter

There is always quite a difference in chartering the newer/newest boats in a rental fleet vs. the older/oldest vessel in the fleet in any charter company.

Nice to see a positive review though - luckily the VI charterers find the cruising waters from Culebra to Anegada to be attractive enough to compete with the Bahamian Islands.