We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the beaten path? Secluded beaches hiking?

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Off the beaten path? Secluded beaches hiking?

I am looking for some things to do that are off the beaten path. Are there any secluded beaches, or beaches you can hike into and spend the day? Thanks! Please PM me if you don't want to share on this board!!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the beaten path? Secluded beaches hiking?

I can't really think of one decent beach that's off the beaten path. There are several on the North side and West end of the island which are only accessible by four wheel drive or a combination of 4WD and hiking but they're rocky beaches with strong currents not conducive to safe swimming for the most part. As long as you avoid such as Coki and Magens on a heavy cruise ship day you'll always find plenty of private space on the beaches both here and on St John. And you can hire a private charter to reach places inaccessible by land - while on St John you can rent a dinghy to explore the beautiful shoreline.

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the beaten path? Secluded beaches hiking?

I've heard about renting a dinghy on STJ, do you know the name of any of these places? Are the boats similar to small boston whalers?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the beaten path? Secluded beaches hiking?

Here you go:

http://www.divelowkey.com/dinghies.html

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the beaten path? Secluded beaches hiking?

Smith Bay Park Beach is off the beaten path, but it's a short walk to that beach from a main road. It doesn't have bars/restaurants so it's usually pretty quiet. Beautiful beach with beautiful views.

Brewers Bay Beach is another one that's not generally frequented by tourists, and is also on a main road. Again, no bars/restaurants, but there are a few food vans that provide light food/snacks and cold beverages.

You can go to Water Island on a no ship day, and Honeymoon Beach may be secluded. It's a popular site for day sails, but they don't generally stay long at that beach. The bicycle tour also goes there, but that's on ship days mostly.

There's a nice hiking trail at Magens Bay Beach. I posted a write-up on TripAdvisor, and you can find it if you look at my contributions.

With the internet, is there any such thing now as "off the beaten path???" :-)

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the beaten path? Secluded beaches hiking?

There is such a thing as "off the beaten path" just a short distance away if you're willing to look at less-developed islands than STT. A short ferry ride or alternate airport (EIS) gets you into the nearby islands of the BVI. Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, Anegada, Norman Island, and even Tortola offer a number of secluded, gorgeous beaches and bays that are accessible only by boat or by 4x4 and then a hike. Obviously there are no vendors at these spots except for a few where they can park near the bay, so they are very secluded as compared to the beaches of STT. I'll IM you my choices, try posting to the Tortola forum as well if you're interested.

We like Tortola for a base because there are more restaurant, entertainment, and beach bar options than on the other islands, and there are multiple ferry and day sail and dive excursions from Tortola. But you can also stay on VG, Jost, Peter or Anegada and enjoy even more solitude if you like that and there are dining and entertainment venues on many of these islands.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off the beaten path? Secluded beaches hiking?

Pelican beach might also work for you. It can be accessed a number of ways but the easiest is to go to Sapphire and walk to Pelican ,which is to your left if you face the water. There is not much of anything on Pelican just a beautiful view and a swimming area. There is some development on the far left side and lots are for sale on the beach so someday it will be developed. It is a rare occurrence to see anyone on the beach.

7. Re: Off the beaten path? Secluded beaches hiking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 05:18