We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cab Fare from Frenchman's Reef to Red Hook for 5 ppl?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cab Fare from Frenchman's Reef to Red Hook for 5 ppl?

Do they charge per person for Cab Fare? Does anyone know how much it is from Frenchman's Reef to Red Hook as we would want to go to the St. John beaches a few times. Thanks!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cab Fare from Frenchman's Reef to Red Hook for 5 ppl?

$10 - $12 per person each way.

Pia

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cab Fare from Frenchman's Reef to Red Hook for 5 ppl?

So $100 round trip??? That's crazy! Do most people rent cars in St. Thomas?? We are nervous about driving on the left side of the road!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cab Fare from Frenchman's Reef to Red Hook for 5 ppl?

You can take the Frenchmans Reef ferry to downtown and catch a STJ ferry from there - but the overall cost will be about the same -- yes - most people rent cars and with a group of 5 it would be very cost effective - driving on the left is not a hard thing to get accustomed to it is mostly 2 lane roads and driving slower than 35 mph is the rule.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cab Fare from Frenchman's Reef to Red Hook for 5 ppl?

You would be MUCH better off renting a vehcile for your stay. As Pia stated the taxis charge per person. So going out to dinner will be expensive before you even have dinner.

The cost of a taxi one-way from the airport for 5 people will probably be more than the cost of renting for one day. Driving on the left is fun and I look forward to it every year. Dependable & Charlotte Amalie Car rentals both get excellent reviews. You can load up your cooler, chairs, etc get on the car ferry and check out St John on your own. Car ferry is $25 one way. Do NOT buy a round trip ticket as there are 3 car barges (sometimes) and they do not honor each others tickets. (cost of people ferry is $6 each/one way)

Rent something large enough to hold all of you and your stuff. I think we rented a Dodge Nitro for 6 ppl. It was tight with all the luggage, but after that it was fine the rest of the trip. Reserve NOW. Don't wait until you arrive or you may not get one.

Edited: 27 November 2011, 19:27
Colorado
Level Contributor
923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cab Fare from Frenchman's Reef to Red Hook for 5 ppl?

There is a learning curve to the driving on the left. I took the leap and did it myself last winter . It was not as bad as had always thought! Just have a copilot reminding you to stay left.

It is outrageous I agree the taxi rates per person.

Edited: 27 November 2011, 19:37
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
121 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cab Fare from Frenchman's Reef to Red Hook for 5 ppl?

Renting a car is always a good idea, even if just 2 people travelling, but especially when you get to 3+. Count on $10-15 each way per person anyway on the island from the Reef.

First Rental Car is in Havensight and will deliver cars to the Marriott and pick them up, so I would check them first. Otherwise, Avis, Dependable, Amalie, Discount are also good bets.

Don't worry about left side driving--we only have one multi-lane road and as mentioned before you don't drive over 30-35mph. It's more like follow the leader, and don't forget to look RIGHT first as the traffic approaches from the right :)

7. Re: Cab Fare from Frenchman's Reef to Red Hook for 5 ppl?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:41